Magnepan MG 1.6 vs. 1.6 QR [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Magnepan MG 1.6 vs. 1.6 QR

RushM3
04-26-2004, 09:27 AM
Can any Maggie expert out there enlighten me as to the difference between the MG 1.6 and the 1.6 QR? Is there a difference at all?

markw
04-26-2004, 01:53 PM
All the "QR" stands for is Quasi Ribbon, which has been part of this speaker since it's inception. People refer to this speaker either way.

Geoffcin
04-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Can any Maggie expert out there enlighten me as to the difference between the MG 1.6 and the 1.6 QR? Is there a difference at all?

The QR stands for Quasi-ribbon. The tweeter of this speaker is of a quasi-ribbon design. If you get a chance to I would reccomend auditioning them, you'll be in for a treat.

RushM3
04-26-2004, 03:56 PM
The QR stands for Quasi-ribbon. The tweeter of this speaker is of a quasi-ribbon design. If you get a chance to I would reccomend auditioning them, you'll be in for a treat.

Already auditioned them. Already looking to pick up a pair.

Geoffcin
04-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Already auditioned them. Already looking to pick up a pair.

In my view, when properly set up, there's few speakers under 3k that can touch the 1.6qr's. Remember your going to need some good clean power to make them sing.

RushM3
04-27-2004, 03:48 PM
In my view, when properly set up, there's few speakers under 3k that can touch the 1.6qr's. Remember your going to need some good clean power to make them sing.

Take a peak at my other post in the amps/preamps forum: http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=4036

Still working out the kinks, but I think the 1.6's will sound pretty sweet being driven by the C-J Premier 140 (got a great deal on it). Now if only I could find a pre-amp...