Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SACD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road SACD

jamison
11-26-2003, 07:45 PM
I just got the 30th anniversary edition of Goodbye Brick Road on SACD
its a Hybrid Multichannel with 2 discs and a 3rd dvd with the making of the album. very impressive sound great use of surround sound. Im very impressed with the open and airy sound. I can't say the same for the Sammy Hagar DVDA i bought at the same time. it is in surround but does not sound high resolution at all.
Framton comes alive is another sacd with good sound for a reissue as well. i guess some artists lend themselves better to a surround format than others.

Digital-G
12-01-2003, 11:01 AM
I've got the Moble Fidelity (cd) release of Goodbye Yellow... disc which sounds pretty good, but I'd love to hear the surround version in hi-rez. I haven't seen it at my local Best Buy, yet, but I've seen it for sale on-line. Now if they'll release Madman Across the Water...

It seems kind of hit-or-miss when they redo some of the older 'classics' like Yellow Brick Road. I'm convinced it's all in the (surround) mixing, though. Granted, some music probably serves the surround format better, but... that doesn't seem to be the determining factor of a good vs bad surround disc. I've got several Silverline compilation surround discs that all sound pretty... "flat". I don't know, they just don't sound right. There's many artists on them from the 70's and 80's so it's a pretty good cross-section of music. The common denominator seems to be the mixing.

jamison
12-02-2003, 12:23 AM
I would really agree with that. I think a lot of times the sacds or cds that have the best sound the artists main goal is to express their music rather than make a quick buck. Pink Foyds Dark Side of The Moon sounds like great care was taken in the mixing as well as goodbye yellow brick road and frampton comes alive sounds great too. The best surround mixes seem to come when they try to augment their sound instead of reinvent it. some of the mixes work some dont. the ones that dont work are the ones where they try to experiment too much. or take too little time on them. the Sammy Hagar release on dvda sounds ok but it doesnt sound like great care was taken in the mixing or recording. some sacds actually sound worse than the cd release. I also know the newer recordings that are pure dsd have more potential than the old ones. but i cant help wondering how floyds Wish you Were here or RUSH 2112 or Moving Pictures would sound in multichannel surround with careful mixing.

i think my next purchase will be THE WHO'S Tommy
does anyone have that one yet?

Over50
12-02-2003, 03:10 AM
Has anybody listened to Metallica on dvda. Just listen to Sandman or Nothing Else Matters, unbeleivable.Also the Dobbie Brothers The Captain And Me on dvda. Some of their tunes became staples for bar bands" Long Train Runnin and Without You come to mind and who doesn't like Southcity Midnight Lady. Great tunes.

Tracks:
1. Natural Thing
2. Long Train Runnin'
3. China Grove
4. Dark Eyed Cajun Woman
5. Clear as the Driven Snow
6. Without You
7. South City Midnight Lady
8. Evil Woman
9. Busted Down Around O'Connelly Corners
10. Ukiah
11. The Captain and Me

Mr MidFi
12-02-2003, 06:10 AM
I might have to get this...if it's a hybrid SACD. I don't have a native SACD format player yet. The old CD release of GYBR is just lousy.

I just recently acquired the DVD-A / DTS disc of Queen's Night at the Opera. Very good surround mix, and very enjoyable overall.

Digital-G
12-02-2003, 06:36 AM
While Night at the Opera is enjoyable I think it sounds somewhat uneven and not nearly as good as some other hi-rez disks. Here are some (mostly older recordings) hi-rez discs that I think sound outstanding - I'm talking about the surround mixes (I haven't heard the ones by the Doobie Bros., Frampton, or Hagar):

Billy Joel - The Stranger (SACD, I think)
REM - Automatic for the People (DVD-Audio)
Eagles - Hotel California (DVD-Audio / DTS) - contrary to popular belief, I'm not a huge Eagles fan, but this disc sounds incredible.
Pink Floyd - DSOTM (SACD) - although I think this could have sounded better (the surround mix sounds bass-shy to me).
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle (DTS)

I'd also be curious how the Who's Tommy sounds... ...and Crowded House.... and...

Here is a link to reviews of many, many DVD-AUDIO and SACD discs (I hope the link works):

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/index.asp

Over50
12-02-2003, 06:55 AM
all dvda. http://www.dvdboxoffice.com Canadian pricing so your american dollar should help you out

jeskibuff
12-10-2003, 08:00 PM
I just got my copy of "Goodbye" in the mail today and am halfway through the first disk as I write this. I was blown away by the lead-in to "Funeral For A Friend". They do a GREAT job teasing you with the mains and the surrounds then slam you with the center somewhat unexpectedly. I LOVED it!

I got the 2-disc version WITHOUT the DVD. It was just $21.86 at DeepDiscountCD with free shipping. It took about 2 weeks to arrive because it was backordered but was well worth the wait!

One thing with some of these SACD cases is annoying. The disc hubs won't let the disc go without a struggle. You almost feel like you're going to crack the disc as you try to free it from the tenacious hub! I had the same trouble with Rolling Stones "Hot Rocks". Fortunately, the discs go into my changer and the case gets packed away in a box, so I don't have to handle the discs as often.

I'm looking forward to more great music being remixed into DVD-A or SACD multi-channel mixes. It's a great way to breathe new life into music that has stood up to the test of time.

jamison
12-10-2003, 08:14 PM
I got mine at media play with the dvd for 25 dollars with tax. Funeral for a friend is awesome. Just as amazing is Bennie and the Jets. The crowd comes through the fronts and surrounds and gives you the impression of a live environment. (the audience was added to the track it wasnt recorded live. You sure can't tell though. Also another personal favorite is the acoustic version of Candle in the Wind. I swear i can hear 3 different guitars playing through the front three speakers. I would put this SACD at or near the top of my best sounding discs. Now if only we can get Pink Floyds the wall this way or Wish You Were here. I agree with you on the jewel cases. i swore i have warped a few discs getting them out of the cases. I have also noted on dvda cases the hinges break really easy or they get cracked really easily. Too bad They can't make them the same size and more durable.

jeskibuff
12-15-2003, 06:44 PM
I got mine at media play with the dvd for 25 dollars with tax.
That's a pretty good price, especially since I don't recall MP's prices being all that great (last time I shopped at one was when I lived in Colorado 7 years ago).

The good news for those looking to pick up their own copy of the 2-disc set (no DVD) is that it's going for $19.99 at BestBuy right now. Also, the 2-disc Tommy SACD set is selling for $19.99, too!