You Guys Are Letting Me Down [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : You Guys Are Letting Me Down

Mr Peabody
09-15-2014, 06:34 PM
I was turned onto a lot of bands and music here at Rave Recordings and it used to be the place to come to find out about new releases. So I find Opeth has a new album out called Pale Communion and not a peep here. Pale Communion is clean vocals and more straight forward Prog although a bit more structured than Heritage. Heritage got a lot of flack period but one of the complaints was too many random changes. Coincidently, I listened to Heritage a few days ago after ages and found myself really enjoying it. And, after that I found myself going through more of their titles in my collection. I could be going through a rediscovery but I really feel my current system is revealing all the layers of complexity causing me a new appreciation for the band's talent. I mean, guitar players could have a feast on their albums.
Also, I catch a track on Liquid Metal from a new Dream Theater album, I believe it is self titled. The track was an instrumental. Any one know who the current drummer is?

Just giving some grief and sharing

ForeverAutumn
09-16-2014, 05:42 AM
Hey Mr. P. Sorry, didn't mean to let you down dude. I haven't picked up the new Opeth yet, but I'm glad to hear that you like it. Maybe I'll order it soon. They're in town in December and I'm thinking about going.

As for Dream Theater, the "new" album has been out for a year, since last September. :) The new drummer is Mike Mangini and he's a killer drummer! I've seen them live with him twice and he's fun to watch. I don't know if he still does, but at one time he held the record for world's fastest drummer. Check out this video of him. He really shows his speed starting at about the 4:15 mark.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JauQOgl4cR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3LB
09-16-2014, 10:19 AM
I've listened to Pale Communion a few times through, but I have the same complaint regarding Opeth that I do for Steven Wilson, Dream Theater, IQ, et al; every album sounds too similar to the last to feel like I'm actually hearing new material. Each album has at least one song I need to hear multiple times, but the aesthetic never changes from album to album. Hey, everyone runs outta ideas sooner or later. I'd love to see them live, where usually bands of any caliber can bring needed energy to their material.

Jack in Wilmington
09-16-2014, 01:50 PM
I was turned onto a lot of bands and music here at Rave Recordings and it used to be the place to come to find out about new releases. So I find Opeth has a new album out called Pale Communion and not a peep here. Pale Communion is clean vocals and more straight forward Prog although a bit more structured than Heritage. Heritage got a lot of flack period but one of the complaints was too many random changes. Coincidently, I listened to Heritage a few days ago after ages and found myself really enjoying it. And, after that I found myself going through more of their titles in my collection. I could be going through a rediscovery but I really feel my current system is revealing all the layers of complexity causing me a new appreciation for the band's talent. I mean, guitar players could have a feast on their albums.
Also, I catch a track on Liquid Metal from a new Dream Theater album, I believe it is self titled. The track was an instrumental. Any one know who the current drummer is?

Just giving some grief and sharing

Thanks for the heads up on Opeth. I downloaded Pale Communion from HD Tracks and it has instantly become a favorite. They remind me of PT at times and Yokeshire at other times. Excellent vocals. I'm glad they switched from Death Metal. Great headphone album as you can pick up some of the nuances that are farther back in the soundstage.

ForeverAutumn
09-16-2014, 05:51 PM
They remind me of PT at times

Opeth's singer, Michael Akerfelt, and Steve Wilson have collaberated on several occasions. This album was produced by Akerfelt and mixed by Wilson, so I'm not at all suprised to hear you say that it reminds you of PT.

If you haven't heard Damnation, you should. No death metal within miles of it and produced by Steve Wilson. It's very PT. It's also a great album.

ForeverAutumn
09-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Hey if you guys want to stay current on prog and metal, you should check out Progressive Ears. Progressive Ears (http://www.progressiveears.org). There was lots of talk there about this Opeth album, and the DT album last year.

...and the site actually works.

...and has lots of traffic.

unleasHell
09-16-2014, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I can talk about or have heard of most the bands I currently listen to on Progressive Ears, while over here, I get the classic sound of crickets when I mention them, so just for fun, I'll give it another try:

Vespero: from Russia, with 5 or 6 releases, awesome instrumental prog rock

Follakazoid: from Chile: 2 -1/2 releases, awesome modern day psych with a dash of prog

Dead Skeletons: Iceland, their entire album is on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kGO4oPd_6Q (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6wzwF71KCU)

Radar Men from the Moon: from the Netherlands: Intergalactic dada & Space trombones | Radar men from the Moon
(http://radarmenfromthemoon.bandcamp.com/album/intergalactic-dada-space-trombones)
My Brother the Wind:also from some Scandinavian country: Live At Roadburn 2013 | Burning World Records (http://burningworldrecords.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-roadburn-2013-3)

Perplexia:Great US experimental band with multiple releases

Salamander:another great US based band with Multiple releases

Mechanik: looking for some heavy stuff out of Russia: https://raig.bandcamp.com/album/mechanik-velut-stella-splendida

Space Debris:awesome stuff: She´s A Temple | Space Debris (http://spacedebris.bandcamp.com/album/she-s-a-temple)

BOSCH'S WITH YOU: Like Post Rock? Here is an incredible band from Russia, that lives up to the post-rock name as the leader and guitarist died five years ago, read about his tragic life and then listen to the beautiful music he crafts: Russian Association Of Independent Genres (http://www.raig.ru/bosch.asp) I recommend starting with "Promised To Be" recorded just before his death, a grand legacy...

Psychic Ills: bunch of trippy releases from this US band, most albums have some great songs and some filler

God is an Astronaut: their 7th Album was released today (Sept 16) great musicians from from Ireland on a world tour, sadly no US dates (bastards).. Official Link: God Is An Astronaut - Official Website (http://www.superadmusic.com/god/)

Most of these can be heard on YouTube, Pandora, Band Camp or by searching around..

ENJOY and EXPAND: I can provide the water, but it is up to you to drink...!

unleasHell
09-16-2014, 08:26 PM
double post: sorry

Jack in Wilmington
09-17-2014, 04:47 AM
Opeth's singer, Michael Akerfelt, and Steve Wilson have collaberated on several occasions. This album was produced by Akerfelt and mixed by Wilson, so I'm not at all suprised to hear you say that it reminds you of PT.

If you haven't heard Damnation, you should. No death metal within miles of it and produced by Steve Wilson. It's very PT. It's also a great album.

I haven't been able to hear any sound bites from Damnation. I thought I read that Heritage was their big switch from Death Metal to Prog. so I heard some of Heritage and downloaded Pale Communion. Now I want to hear some of the Damnation tracks.

ForeverAutumn
09-17-2014, 08:29 AM
I haven't been able to hear any sound bites from Damnation.

How hard did you look? I went to YouTube and entered Opeth Damnation in their search function. Full album below...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sA207lV0M2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Jack in Wilmington
09-17-2014, 11:44 AM
How hard did you look? I went to YouTube and entered Opeth Damnation in their search function. Full album below...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sA207lV0M2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I went to CD Universe and Amazon and neither one had samples.

ForeverAutumn
09-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I can talk about or have heard of most the bands I currently listen to on Progressive Ears, while over here, I get the classic sound of crickets when I mention them, so just for fun, I'll give it another try: ...

Looks like some interesting stuff here and only one band that I've heard of. I'll definately check some of these out when I have time. Thanks!

Finch Platte
09-18-2014, 02:30 AM
Looks like some interesting stuff here and only one band that I've heard of. I'll definately check some of these out when I have time. Thanks!

Ditto that, thanks x2!

Mr Peabody
09-18-2014, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the clip FA, and for the recs UH. Jack I'm a bit upset with Amazon for removing a lot of their samples, I suppose they want you to go to the mp3 page to sample but I hate having to go to another page just to listen and then back to the previous page to buy or add to my with list etc. In addition, I used to listen to a sample on the Rick's radio thing that would pop up and end up sampling a bunch of other albums, they're really missing some sales from scaling back, at least from me.

Oh, FA, go see Opeth. They came through here once, I missed the show and they haven't been back since, I'm wearing my leg out kicking myself over that decision. And, I can't believe the site is still screwed up, I surprised to see newbies posting on Community Welcomes. I wouldn't have known how to post around the error page if Blackraven didn't help me.

ForeverAutumn
09-19-2014, 08:41 AM
I wouldn't have known how to post around the error page if Blackraven didn't help me.

There's a way to post around the error page?

I saw Opeth on the Damnation tour. They toured with Porcupine Tree. Toronto was the opening night of the tour. Opeth played Damnation right through from start to finish. It was their first time playing it through live and you could tell that they were nervous. :)

You could totally tell who in the audience was there to see Opeth and who was there to see PT. The Opeth fans showed up in their finest Goth attire, while the PT fans were wandering around in jeans and various Prog band t-shirts.

The Opeth fans were pissed off that there were no death metal vocals in the show, and half the audience got up and walked out before PT hit the stage.

It was a very, very interesting experience. :)

Jack in Wilmington
09-19-2014, 09:00 AM

I saw Opeth on the Damnation tour. They toured with Porcupine Tree. Toronto was the opening night of the tour. Opeth played Damnation right through from start to finish. It was their first time playing it through live and you could tell that they were nervous. :)

You could totally tell who in the audience was there to see Opeth and who was there to see PT. The Opeth fans showed up in their finest Goth attire, while the PT fans were wandering around in jeans and various Prog band t-shirts.

The Opeth fans were pissed off that there were no death metal vocals in the show, and half the audience got up and walked out before PT hit the stage.

I doubt if you would have that now. I think the older fans of Opeth have moved on, if they wanted the Death Metal sound, to Judas Priest and the such. The Opeth fans now are probably PT fans also and would go to see both groups. I remember going to see Fairport Convention back in the mid 70's and talking to people out in the lobby before the show and they wanted to know what kind of music the opening act, which was Caravan, played. I had a few of their albums, and since I was wearing a Caravan t-shirt, they approached me as I was more familiar with them than Fairport Convention. We met up again after Caravan's set and they were very pleasantly surprised. They said that they would be hitting the record store the next day to pick up some Caravan.

Finch Platte
09-19-2014, 02:07 PM

The Opeth fans were pissed off that there were no death metal vocals in yrsBffthe show, and half the audience got up and walked out before PT hit the stage.

I saw Opeth open for PT in San Fran, I believe, and they were not good. Maybe that's why people were walking out. Remember Troy, who used to post here? Me and my buddy met him at the concert. Prog fans all, but Opeth just plain sucked. PT was on another planet, just crazy good.