Technics audio is back [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Technics audio is back

Smokey
09-12-2014, 07:57 PM
http://images.gizmag.com/gallery_lrg/panasonic-technics-hi-fi-22.jpg

Panasonic breathes new life into Technics after the highly-regarded brand being dormant for six years.

The first two premium ranges out of the starting gate are the Reference Class R1 Series and the Premium Class C700 Series. Both ranges including a stereo amplifier, a network audio streamer and speakers (and the C700 also gets a CD player.

The amp uses a JENO Digital Engine eliminate jitter, and Load Adaptive Phase Calibration (LAPC) for flat amplitude-phase frequency delivery. It features a GaN MOS-FET driver for high speed switching while keeping signal loss low, analog XLR input, analog RCA input, bi-wiring speaker terminals, and a silent linear power supply.

The network audio player features precision oversampling to improve source audio quality, virtual battery operation that reduces noise from the power supply and Digital Noise Isolation Architecture which takes care of noise isolation and deals with jitter.

The CD player includes technology to expand the bandwidth and bit depth to bring out high quality sounds from CDs. There's a left/right independent parallel Burr-Brown PCM1795 DAC, quality analog circuitry and high resolution re-mastering.

Reference speakers in piano black has a 6.3 in (160 mm) flat type midrange driver, a 1 in (25 mm) carbon graphite diaphragm dome tweeter and four 6.3 in long-stroke woofers.

No price been set yet :)

http://images.gizmag.com/gallery_lrg/panasonic-technics-hi-fi-21.jpg

Panasonic breathes new life into Technics - Images (http://www.gizmag.com/panasonic-technics-hi-fi/33676/pictures)

Feanor
09-13-2014, 05:18 AM
It's nice to see Technics back. The Panasonic/Matsu****a brand pretty much went extinct in the 2000's except for one or two items such as the SL-1200 turntable. But in '70s thru '90s they were a major consumer brand and made a lot of nice equipment, very competitive against other Japanese brands like Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha, etc.

I haven't owed a lot of Technics equipment, basically just two items:

SL-PS70 CD player, bought in 1990 and which served as my main CD player 'till about 2002; it had a lot of features you just don't see in present-day players
SL-D2 direct drive turntable, bought about 2006 but little used and finally yanked from my system about 2 years ago.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/505/System07Jan-TechnicsCD.jpg

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/500/System07Jan-analog_1_.jpg

blackraven
09-13-2014, 07:21 AM
Prices range from $5K to $50,000. They are going high end.

harley .guy07
09-13-2014, 10:11 AM
I remember my dad in the 70's, he had a Technics amplifier and loved it. He was always a fan a Panasonic products in general. It looks like good stuff I just hope that the brand has not been gone too long to bring about a passion for ownership. But there have been brands brought back before to good success.

Mr Peabody
09-14-2014, 07:17 PM
I saw a similar announcement at Home Theater Review, they gave a system price range and if memory serves the R1 is like $50k. I thought Technics was gone longer than 6 years but maybe not. I find it interesting in bringing back the brand they would shoot for the high end. I almost think Panasonic would have been better off with a new name for the line. In my mind although Technics has been a reliable brand they have never been "high end", or even close. I have to say though on paper it sounds like they have put some R&D into the gear, it looks good and well built. Some of those pieces tip the scales pretty well.

blackraven
09-15-2014, 03:01 PM
The new amp weighs in at 55Kg which is about 121 pounds. And its a digital based amp to boot.

harley .guy07
09-15-2014, 06:26 PM
I am kind of curious on how this stuff will compare to likes of Pass labs and other brands that play in this price category. Really the whole time I remember technics as a kid they were more of a affordable high end brand and not at this price level. We will just have to see how this stuff compares.

Glen B
09-15-2014, 10:55 PM
Matsu****a's strategy could be to produce these new high end statement products, followed by production of more affordable gear that employs trickle-down of whatever new design technology they've developed.

Smokey
09-16-2014, 08:01 PM
Prices range from $5K to $50,000.

The new amp weighs in at 55Kg which is about 121 pounds.

That sound like some serious stuff. Hopefully as Glen B mentioned, it will be followed by production of more affordable gears.

Technics always had/have good reputation in reliablity and quality department. I have one of their 2 channel amp receiver from 90s, and that thing still going strong and refuses to die.

blackraven
09-17-2014, 08:53 AM
You are right about reliability Smokey. I have a vintage 1977 Technic's SU-7600 integrated amp that still is going strong and sounds good. Of course most of the stuff from that era was built like a tank. My new Thorens TT was built in 1977 and is in perfect working condition.

3db
10-07-2014, 09:19 AM
That sound like some serious stuff. Hopefully as Glen B mentioned, it will be followed by production of more affordable gears.

Technics always had/have good reputation in reliablity and quality department. I have one of their 2 channel amp receiver from 90s, and that thing still going strong and refuses to die.

My AVR in my 2ndary system is a Technics SA-DX940 of 2000 vintage and its still performing well.