buying yamaha receiever from unauthorized dealers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : buying yamaha receiever from unauthorized dealers?

pooface
04-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Just wondered how many of you bought a yamaha receiever from an unauthorized dealer and if you feel you made the right decision. I haven;t really decided on whether or not im getting the rx-v1400 or rx-v750. The thing about buyign from authoirzed dealers is most follow the MSRP right? And usually that can be up to $200 more than an unauthorized/online reseller. The thing is getting a rx-v1400 from an unauthorized dealer is about the same price is a yamaha rx-v750 from an authorized dealer.

How often does audio equipment break? Assuming you dont drop it and generally take care of it do these things have a habit of overheating and killing themselves? Just not sure what i should do. Unauthoized+ save a lot of money at the expense of warranty or Authorized at the expense of more money but with a warranty?

JSE
04-26-2004, 09:54 AM
Just wondered how many of you bought a yamaha receiever from an unauthorized dealer and if you feel you made the right decision. I haven;t really decided on whether or not im getting the rx-v1400 or rx-v750. The thing about buyign from authoirzed dealers is most follow the MSRP right? And usually that can be up to $200 more than an unauthorized/online reseller. The thing is getting a rx-v1400 from an unauthorized dealer is about the same price is a yamaha rx-v750 from an authorized dealer.

How often does audio equipment break? Assuming you dont drop it and generally take care of it do these things have a habit of overheating and killing themselves? Just not sure what i should do. Unauthoized+ save a lot of money at the expense of warranty or Authorized at the expense of more money but with a warranty?

I can't give numbers on equipment failure rates but after doing a lot of research receiver's before buying my RX-V1400, it appears Yamaha is considered by many to be one of the best receiver's in terms of reliability and build quality. It is also clear that their customer support is very good compared to other brands.

Should you buy a authorized model? I guess it depends on you. One thing, if you do intend to buy a unauthorized receiver, it looks lik e Yamaha would be a "safer" choice.

JSE

BrandonCM
04-26-2004, 10:05 AM
At least try to get the best price at your authorize dealer first cause I got my wife RX-V 1400 for $ 670.00+ at Sountract (Ultimate Electronics)
On realiability, I have an RX-V 2090 way back in 1996 and until I gave it to my Compadre, its still working 100% up to now.

depressed
04-26-2004, 11:14 AM
If you read my posts here, you 'll see that I bought my receiver from an unauthorised dealer. You also have to keep in mind that some of these sellers offer their own warranty, usually 3, up to 6 months. Most important thing is to make sure the unit is ok when you first set it up. If you use it properly, you will avoid the risk of damaging it yourself. On the other hand, you need to figure out how much you are willing to pay for a unit. As the price of the unit increases, you should start considering authorised dealers. You 'll get temped not to though, because the price difference on expensive units between authorised dealers and the other ones is going to be huge. I don't know. I would buy it from an unauthorised dealer, but that's just me. I'm not the smartest one here :D , so you better hope other people contribute to this topic...

kpzbee
04-26-2004, 01:13 PM
I bought my 750 from a dealer along with 3 speakers. They gave an additional 10% off with the purchase of speakers and/or a dvd player. The price on the receiver was $599 before the discount which isn't to bad. They also double Yamaha's 2 year warrenty at no extra charge. :) So it might be worth checking your local dealer out.

Dale M
04-26-2004, 03:19 PM
Hi, I know myself when HT shopping I was trying to save a few bucks wherever I could, But I ended up buying a new receiver from a large authorized store and Also the extended warranty for $40 Can. for 5 years, True these things dont break down often from what I hear but I sleep better knowing that if it does Its not going to cost me a cent to fix it, and if it does crap out after awhile thats ok too, they replace it with the current model, But its up to you, but your Yamaha going into the shop once could eat up your $200 savings and who knows how long before you get it back.
My 2 cents
Dale M

kexodusc
04-27-2004, 06:04 AM
I've gone both routes...if you have to buy unauthorized...at least get an extended warranty coverage...that should at least protect you financially. I know someone who bought an unauthorized Denon receiver, couldn't get it repaired because Denon's repair network wouldn't touch it, so the Mack warranty just refunded the original cost of the receiver. His failure happened after the first year.

I know Yamaha is quite strict about "authorized purchases", but I also know that many "unauthorized dealers" get their products from an "authorized Yamaha distributor". My company deals with companies like this quite a bit. I asked one store owner about this, and his answer to me was that Yamaha will honor the warranty if they can trace back the purchases to an authorized distributor, and that they've never had a problem. In some states, and I believe Canada as well, legislation dictates that companies cannot discriminate on the issue of warranty coverage.
This isn't unique to the audio industry either. Sometimes there's a hassle to getting warranty coverage, sometimes claims about "authorized dealers" are just to appease the dealer networks. In the end you have to realize that Yamaha knowingly sells thousands of their products to companies that aren't "authorized retailers" who will turn around and sell receivers at a huge discounts. Yamaha doesn't want to lose a huge part of their sales base and turn-off consumers to their products, but they don't want to tick-off their dealer network either.

mufj
04-27-2004, 06:08 AM

I was considering buying an rxv1400 from an unauthorized dealer and getting an extended warranty. However I found I could bargain with Tweeter and another autorized dealer in the area. I eventually wound up getting an open box buy at Tweeter with a five year extended warranty for $600.
I happen to know that J&R music which is an authorized dealer will sell this unit for $650 in spite of the fact that they advertise MSRP. Try to get at an authorized dealer and if not buy from someone with a good reputation and get an exended warranty for protection.