Cheap DAC accepting DTS/AC-3 input working well??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cheap DAC accepting DTS/AC-3 input working well???

keilau
09-08-2014, 06:13 PM
I moved an older LCD TV (LG Model DU-37LZ30) to my main audio setup, which has no option to output PCM digital. The only audio output is DTS SPDIF Toslink. It generates only white noise on my SMSL SD-1955. :( What is a good DAC that takes DTS/AC-3 signal? :confused5:

CHEAP = $100 or less
Working well = SD-1955 level audio performance

Any review or forum link will be appreciated.

blackraven
10-14-2014, 07:53 AM
Check out this site for cheap DAC's that compare well to DAC's like the Dragonfly, Audio Engine and Nuforce. I have no idea if they will work with your TV but you can email them. I will be buying a couple of these DAC's for TV and computer.

DAC's (http://hifimediy.com/DACs)

Make sure you turn off the TV sound in the TV audio menu. This should fix the problem. I don't understand why the sound is not working with your DAC if this does not fix the problem. Double check all the audio settings in the TV menu.

Does it work when you hook the digital out to a receiver? If it does, then it should work with an external DAC. If not, then there is a problem with the TV. I have an older 37" LG LCD TV that is hooked up to my Grant Fidelity DAC that works fine.

Another option for you is to hook up the sound directly from your cable box to your DAC.

JoeE SP9
10-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Most audio oriented DAC's do not decode DTS or Dolby Digital audio. They will decode a PCM digital. If you can, try switching the digital output of your TV to PCM.

All the TV's I'm aware of or have experience with will output either PCM or Dolby Digital. None that I've ever heard of output DTS.

The standard audio format for HDTV is Dolby Digital.

blackraven
10-17-2014, 07:17 AM
Most audio oriented DAC's do not decode DTS or Dolby Digital audio. They will decode a PCM digital. If you can, try switching the digital output of your TV to PCM.

All the TV's I'm aware of or have experience with will output either PCM or Dolby Digital. None that I've ever heard of output DTS.

The standard audio format for HDTV is Dolby Digital.

You are right. I must have blanked out when reading his post.