4K Bluray disc coming in 2015 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 4K Bluray disc coming in 2015

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Aside from Atmos, this technology will be one I will invest in when the television manufacturers(and projectors as well) catch up with hardware. For me, without 4K Bluray disc(which addresses some of the issues I have with current 4K sets - Dolby Dynamic contrast, Rec 2020, widespread adoption of HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2) there is no chance of progress on the manufacturers side without all of these issues addressed.

4K Blu-ray discs arriving in 2015 to fight streaming media - CNET (http://www.cnet.com/au/news/4k-blu-ray-discs-arriving-in-2015-to-fight-streaming-media/)

4K streaming is going to happen, but not without the cable and Telecom companies fighting like hell on bandwidth issues. Netflix which will be the first to offer 4K streaming will probably have to pay both for the necessary bandwidth to get it to the consumer. And the consumer will probably have to pay a premium for access to those/that stream.

Smokey
09-05-2014, 09:50 PM
For me, without 4K Bluray disc(which addresses some of the issues I have with current 4K sets - Dolby Dynamic contrast, Rec 2020, widespread adoption of HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2) there is no chance of progress on the manufacturers side without all of these issues addressed.

This is a situation where manufactures are ahead of curve on consumer goods and what may consumer wants. 4

K will have a very slow roll out, and will be a daunting task to convince average consumers to upgrade to 4K. 4K discs will help in that direction, but as long as cable/satellite and OTA channels are in 1080p, it will be a tough sell.

4K streaming is going to happen, but not without the cable and Telecom companies fighting like hell on bandwidth issues. Netflix which will be the first to offer 4K streaming will probably have to pay both for the necessary bandwidth to get it to the consumer. And the consumer will probably have to pay a premium for access to those/that stream.

Another obstacle 4K have to deal with :)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-06-2014, 03:45 PM
This is a situation where manufactures are ahead of curve on consumer goods and what may consumer wants.

Actually Smoke, the manufacturers are behind the curve of the standards needed for actual improvement. What the manufacturers have offered so far in terms of 4K have not met the standard bearers technical desires, so current 4K offerings have been a hail Mary proposition to the public. It is an action of desperation rather than an act of format progress or adoption.

4K will have a very slow roll out, and will be a daunting task to convince average consumers to upgrade to 4K. 4K discs will help in that direction, but as long as cable/satellite and OTA channels are in 1080p, it will be a tough sell.

According to the manufacturers there is such a demand for 4K OLED's and LCD's they have decided to abandon 1080p plasma. I don't believe that for a second. I believe that manufacturers don't won't to support plasma because they think they can fool early adopters with the 4K resolution, without addressing the other issues that make 4K attractive to them. This is based on comments I have read on AVS and Bluray.com. There is no way that 4K streaming from Netflix will drive the sales of 4K sets, 4K streaming from what I have seen from Netflix demo's is not that good yet.

Another obstacle 4K have to deal with :)

And a huge obstacle at that. Without 4K Bluray disc, there is not much of a chance for 4K to succeed.