Need to sell a truckload of hi-end audio gear. What is the easiest method? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need to sell a truckload of hi-end audio gear. What is the easiest method?

topspeed
09-02-2014, 09:03 AM
My doctor recently passed and his widow has asked for assistance in selling all of his toys. He has literally stacks of equipment, vintage and new. From Klipsh La Scala's to Acoustat Mk 121-2A to Maggie MG .5/qr's with extra panels. Some of the gear includes Threshold 400A, Acoustic Research LS7, Cary 50SL mono's, Classe Six preamp plus DR10 amp, and BAT VK30se and VK60. This is just the tip of the iceberg, he even had Denon and Sony AVR's as well as '40 era tube gear! It was literally like walking into a store rather than a house.

Here's the issue, she's selling the home and wants to move asap. What is the fastest, most economical way to sell all of this stuff? She doesn't really know how to work a computer and I don't have the time to babysit ebay or audiogon to move this gear piecemeal.

Any ideas?

Hyfi
09-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Offer a ridiculous amount of cash and then take your time selling it all

Jack in Wilmington
09-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Offer her a fair price to take the gear off her hands and then take you time and sell it on Agon or any of the other marketplaces.

bfalls
09-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Since time is of the essence, be sure to protect yourself. You probably won't have the time to check everything. I know I have problem pieces in my collection I'll fix as time allows. I assume others do as well. When providing a "fair" price be sure to take this into account. Don't take advantage, but also don't be foolish.

Mr Peabody
09-02-2014, 08:19 PM
She's really doing herself a disservice by not selling it properly like Audiogon and getting a month subscription to the Bluebook. Some of that stuff is worth a lot like the BAT & Cary. Some older tube gear sells for many times what it was new. He has special gear and it will need to go to people who appreciates it enough to pay for it.

If just wanting to dump it have a yard sale or auction. I sure wish I was close enough to get a look at that stuff. You should put yourself a system together. Any one who buys the lot to resale themselves would only give pennies on the dollar.

The real question is whether she is willing to be patient to get what the gear is worth. It's like having a mint 69 Camaro, do you sell it for $1 or 2k to some kid who thinks it's a cool old car or go to individuals who realize it's worth $30k. She could probably store it for not much until able to find buyers.

If a list is ever compiled I'd be interested in looking at it.

topspeed
09-03-2014, 02:23 PM
I've considered buying it myself, but I think my wife would kill me if I stacked that much stuff in our garage. Besides, I haven't the faintest what it's worth. I check a'gon and ebay and figured the BAT's were maybe $2K each, but the older CounterPoint, Threshold, and Counterpoint stuff is a giant question mark. I'm not sure what works and what doesn't, which also an issue. I'm sure everything on his main stack works (BAT's, AR PH8 Phono amp, Linn Axis (didn't catch the tonearm or cart), and Classe gear, but who knows about the gear stuffed into cabinets and drawers?

I agree she's doing herself a disservice by not spending the time to sell it properly, but that's simply not her priority and honestly, I think it reminds her too much of her departed husband. She just wants it gone.