ATTENTION: Jaro Rohal... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION: Jaro Rohal...

Resident Loser
04-26-2004, 06:59 AM
...you posted your question in the wrong place...so I'm answering in the appropriate area...

I recently was investigating three of the units you mentioned and here's my take for what it's worth...All units have a "Phono In" which seems to be a rarity...

Onkyo TX-8511...probably the best value for the money. I have a few Onkyo products and they seem to be quite good...however, the '511does not have "Pre-Out/Power-In" jacks. This may present a problem if you plan to use an equalizer or other sound processor...it does have a "Tape Monitor" loop which can be used in the same manner, but I personally prefer the flexibility given if both options are present...

The Marantz has "pre/power" access, but not "Tape Mon" function...has a multi-purpose "Jog'" control for Bass/Treble/Balance settings, not my favorite method, but that's just my opinion...

The Denon DRA-685 probably gives the most flexibility with "Tape Mon", "Pre/Pwr" access and the ability to dub between two tape decks while listening to another source...separate knobs for tone and balance is a plus IMO...with the addition of other equipment you can also have two-zone stereo...

Of course if you don't have an analog TT, none of them may be exactly what you require...likewise, if you don't have a tape deck(much less a second for dubbing), the need for EQing or potential system growth...If that is the case the Onkyo 8211(it does have a phono input) may be just what you need.

Hope this info helps...

jimHJJ(...good luck and good listening...)