Home Sub Project [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Sub Project

jerky1280
04-26-2004, 05:56 AM
If any of you remember my old posts, I was searching for speaker and crossover plans to build a home surround sound system. Well, for about $600 I pieced together the Joe D'appelito kit with plans from www.madisound.com, minus the sub. Building your own crossovers = pain in the ass! I got the + and - leads wrong, and had to rewire the stupid things.

However, I've got everything working, and after listening to the speakers, I agree with all the reviews, they need a sub to round them out. So, I've got a bunch of extra MDF sitting around, and want to put together a sub. I want something in a small box, ported or not doesn't matter. I was eying some of the low-budget kits on partsexpress, but I think I could do it cheaper by ordering the driver and crossover, and building the box myself. Where could I find plans for a small project like this?

poneal
04-26-2004, 12:23 PM
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_4_4/thriftythumper.html

I used this paper as a basis for building my subwoofer. I didn't use there sizes but did use the design using double baffle for both rear and front. I sized my at 16x16x16 using a sealed enclosure. I had a old integrated amp so I used it to power the sub using the subout on my receiver to the tape in on the integrated amp. I use my receivers crossover to limit the frequency going to the sub. I used the Dayton Titanic MKII driver from parts express, MDF for the box, liquid nails and finishing nails to seal and hold the box together, then painted it with a black enamel. Also bought some chrome feet from PE along with speaker cloth. Used MDF for the grill. I have to say I am happy with the results and am glad I built it. Total cost with all parts, wood, etc. was about $254.00. Make sure you use one of those box calculators to figure out the internal dimensions of the box. I used a Q of .707

jerky1280
05-04-2004, 04:06 PM
So I decided to pass up the DIY route on this one and picked up a Sony SA-WX700 on Ebay for $150. Now I'm looking for a receiver...