Chance to upgrade my reciever, is it worth it? Feedback desired. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Chance to upgrade my reciever, is it worth it? Feedback desired.

troligt
08-19-2014, 08:50 AM
First of all, it's been a while since I last browsed these forums, but I'm glad to be back.

We are currently building a house where I've been able to make a portion of it into a dedicated home-theatre (4 x 4.5 metres / 13 x 15 feet) and I am now on the market to research what projector and projector screen I'd like, when I'm suddenly faced with the opportunity to perhaps also upgrade my reciever, hence this post.

I saw an add where someone is selling a "Grandview Cinema Multiformat 16:9 / 2.35:1 100"" projector screen, which I thought looked good (especially since I can get at under half normal selling price), but the same person selling this also have a Yamaha Aventage RX-A 3020 reciever for a decent price, which led me to wonder - should I upgrade and perhaps try to get a good deal on both items?

I currently have a Denon AVR 2809 reciever (set up for 5.1 with Monitor Audio Silver RX8) and have been very satisfied with it (5.1, tv and music), and I am basically wondering how big of an upgrade it would be?

Feature-wise I know I'd use the built in streaming option and it seems a tad more "future proof", but the most important thing for me is the sound (movies/tv first hand, music second). I'm also curious as to how the YPAO calibration compares to the Audyssey MultEQ XT I've got on the Denon.

In short, I'd value any comments on pros/cons for upgrading to the Yamaha reciever from the Denon, I've been away from the home theatre forums and magazines for quite some time so I feel quite out of the loop.

Obviously, if anyone has any comments/thoughts on the projector screen "Grandview Cinema Multiformat 16:9 / 2.35:1 100"" (albeit this is in the recievers forum), thoughts on that is also welcome.

I sincerely value your time and feedback and thank you kindly for your help.

Regards,

Daniel

Mr Peabody
08-19-2014, 05:20 PM
I don't have much experience with the screens and projectors, I have read good reviews on the JVC as being a good performer for the money in projectors.

In my opinion the Yamaha would sound some warmer and may not sound as powerful as the 2809. My friend had a Yamaha and upgraded to Marantz, both similarly priced new, the Marantz sounded better, like a quieter background. I really couldn't tell much difference in the EQ systems both did a good job. If you want more features and channels the Yamaha is a decent receiver. Matched with the Monitors you may prefer the Yamaha.