To terminate or not to terminate!!?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : To terminate or not to terminate!!??

tony340
07-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Trying to get some wire for my brothers system. He's just getting into hifi and is looking at budget equipment. The rca interconnect it's fine, got him a QED profile one and now looking at some of the same brand speaker cable. The thing is, to terminate them with banana plugs cost more than the cable itself! Was reading online about the pros and cons of unterminated wire and screwing them in to the binding posts of the speakers. anyone can recommend this way of wiring? I was thinking of spraying some deoxit onto the ends of the wire. Any advice is much appreciated

Feanor
07-22-2014, 03:15 AM
Trying to get some wire for my brothers system. He's just getting into hifi and is looking at budget equipment. The rca interconnect it's fine, got him a QED profile one and now looking at some of the same brand speaker cable. The thing is, to terminate them with banana plugs cost more than the cable itself! Was reading online about the pros and cons of unterminated wire and screwing them in to the binding posts of the speakers. anyone can recommend this way of wiring? I was thinking of spraying some deoxit onto the ends of the wire. Any advice is much appreciated
Bare ends work fine provided you can get a secure connection without stray ends that could cause a short circuit. Deoxit is great but might not be necessary if the copper is freshly exposed.

tony340
07-22-2014, 05:31 AM
Thanks allot feanor, about the stray stands shorting, is this something that can happen internally? I mean if the strands are twisted securely and are plugged into the respective red and black posts correctly, can the strands of wire still open up inside and short? Is there any precautions that have to be taken in wiring them as I've never done this before. Thanks a lot

Feanor
07-22-2014, 04:46 PM
Thanks allot feanor, about the stray stands shorting, is this something that can happen internally? I mean if the strands are twisted securely and are plugged into the respective red and black posts correctly, can the strands of wire still open up inside and short? Is there any precautions that have to be taken in wiring them as I've never done this before. Thanks a lot
Tony, that doesn't seem likely.

Some people solder the ends of the wires to prevent splaying of the strands. But I don't think this is essential if your reasonably careful, and I think you'll get better wire-to-terminal contact without the solder.

tony340
07-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Thanks a lot once again feanor, appreciate it. Just one more thing if u don't mind, is there synergy between cables, for example would it be better to get say Qed speaker wire with the same brand interconnect? Or is this just a myth?

Feanor
07-23-2014, 03:44 AM
Thanks a lot once again feanor, appreciate it. Just one more thing if u don't mind, is there synergy between cables, for example would it be better to get say Qed speaker wire with the same brand interconnect? Or is this just a myth?
My personal opinion is that there is no significant synergy.

blackraven
07-23-2014, 07:24 AM
I would just buy a nice heavy gauge bare speaker wire, 10-16g. For a budget or moderate priced system, you won't be able to tell the difference. I use bare ended wire on many of my speakers including in my main system-10g Blue Jeans cable speaker wire.

tony340
07-25-2014, 03:43 AM
Thanks alot guys, appreciate ur input very much. I'm going to get some cheap Qed 79 strand cable for him. Now his system is on a side board of sorts in his living room and would like to keep the cable lengths as short as possible to avoid too much slack hanging at the back. So I'm trying to keep the cable lengths to a minimum. Is there any truth that the cable has to have a minimum of 2.5 meters in length? 1.5 meters Is what's required to each speaker in this case. Does cable length actually matter? I was thinking that the lower impedance of the shortest possible cable would produce the best possible sound.

Feanor
07-25-2014, 04:12 AM
Thanks alot guys, appreciate ur input very much. I'm going to get some cheap Qed 79 strand cable for him. Now his system is on a side board of sorts in his living room and would like to keep the cable lengths as short as possible to avoid too much slack hanging at the back. So I'm trying to keep the cable lengths to a minimum. Is there any truth that the cable has to have a minimum of 2.5 meters in length? 1.5 meters Is what's required to each speaker in this case. Does cable length actually matter? I was thinking that the lower impedance of the shortest possible cable would produce the best possible sound.
I've never heard of a minimum of 2.5 meters (8.2 feet) before: it's total humbug, IMO. Many cable makers advertise pre-terminated lengths of 6 feet or less. I have myself used lengths much shorter than that with no bad consequences. The shorter the speaker cable the better.

tony340
07-25-2014, 05:14 AM
I thought so too feanor, total crap indeed. I was doing a short search on it before and saw a few of these 2.5 m comments going on. I was told this by a audio salesman, haha, now I see how desperate they are. Thanks again

Glen B
07-25-2014, 11:43 AM
I use these screw-type gold plated banana plugs from Parts Express for my HT and party systems, at only $17 for a set of 8. I find they make a more secure fit than the leaf-type bananas.

Gold Plated Screw Type Banana Plugs 14-8 AWG 16 Pcs. (http://www.parts-express.com/gold-plated-screw-type-banana-plugs-14-8-awg-16-pcs--091-354)

hifitommy
09-17-2014, 03:34 PM
i too like banana plugs for nice clean and safe (for the amp) connections. i might suggest some excellent inexpensive speaker wire from Audioquest---the Type 4. truly better than aip cord or monster cable twinlead.

when you move up the line in quality of electronics, you won't have to upgrade the wire. like QED, it is a great bargain.