Music in the future [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Music in the future

Smokey
07-19-2014, 10:20 PM
What whould the music will sound like 100 years from now?

Using music from 100 years ago as reference to compare with today's music, I would say music a century from now probably will not differ too much from today's music.

Of course the methods and styles will differ from now, but concept of a person singing accompanid by instruments have not changed too much over the centuries :)

Here is a painting of musicians playing in 17th century;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/00/Mehmooni2.jpg/640px-Mehmooni2.jpg

Feanor
07-20-2014, 08:20 AM
What whould the music will sound like 100 years from now?

Using music from 100 years ago as reference to compare with today's music, I would say music a century from now probably will not differ too much from today's music.

Of course the methods and styles will differ from now, but the concept of a person singing accompanied by instruments have not changed too much over the centuries :)

This is totally correct; the "song" goes 'way back and is here to stay. Instrumental forms have tended to be derivative, i.e. evolving from vocal music. This is true, for example, for western classical music where concertos and symphonies are derived from opera forms which, in turn, evolved from simple songs.

But it's true that purely instrument forms go 'way back too, and in various cultures. For example, Indian instrumental music goes back to ancient time, represent 'ragas' today.

Smokey
07-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Instrumental forms have tended to be derivative, i.e. evolving from vocal music. This is true, for example, for western classical music where concertos and symphonies are derived from opera forms which, in turn, evolved from simple songs.

Vocal music seem to be more dominate in religion societies including in dark ages where hymns were song :)

hifitommy
09-17-2014, 03:36 PM
when i was in the air force in guam, i walked into the stag bar of the NCO club and about ten guys sang me a HIMM. himm! himm! f--- HIMM!

i was honored.