RIP Johnny Winter [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RIP Johnny Winter

Mr Peabody
07-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Well the forum won't let me post my Rolling Stone link for some reason but Johnny died 7/16 at age 70. I am a big fan and there was a period of my life I spent many a nights drinking cold bottles of beer and playing my Blues harp to his records. He is the best slide guitarist I know of. He said in some liner notes he likes his slide to sound like steely strings strung across a metal trash can. The article mentions his vision was 20/400 & 20/600, I didn't realize his vision was that bad, I believe that's considered "legally blind".

I

MasterCylinder
07-18-2014, 04:22 AM
I used to listen to JW albums back in the day..........he was a major contributor to the Texas Blues scene, along the likes of SRV, Billy Gibbons, Rocky Athas and the incomparable Freddie King.
I was always intrigued how the Winter brothers hooked up with so many good players.........one perfect example being THEY ONLY COME OUT AT NIGHT.........and JW playing a lot with Rick Derringer.............together they made good with ROCK & ROLL HOOCHIE KOO and, my favorite old rocker song, STILL ALIVE AND WELL.
It was so fitting until this week.