PDA

View Full Version : Review -- Ringo's All Starr Band

MasterCylinder
07-14-2014, 06:04 AM
This year's line-up :

Keyboards = Gregg Rolie (Santana, Journey);
Guitars = Steve Lukather (Toto), Todd Rundgren (Nazz, Utopia, etc.);
Bass = Richard Page (Mr. Mister);
Sax, Keyboards, Secondary Percussion = Warren Hamm (various, incl. Bloodrock for goodness sakes);
Drums = Greg Bisonette (Vai, Roth), Ringo Starr (legend).

Saw this outstanding show in Albuquerque last Wednesday night.
Highlights :
Rolie's voice is the exact same as 40 years ago with the performance of all the Santana hits..........Lukather took the time to master the Carlos guitar parts perfectly.
Page's voice is amazing............so strong...........so clear............so excellent...........he took the high parts (Kimball) on the Toto songs.
Lukather's guitar mastery was much more impressive than his vocals, which were not bad at all.
Bisontte did a short solo at the end of Oue Como Va.............he did not display half of his capabilities, which were developed at the legendary jazz school at North Texas State, at Denton, Texas.
Starr played steady and solid, if not spectacular, as did Rundgren.

Good show !

Finch Platte
07-14-2014, 10:29 AM
This year's line-up :

Keyboards = Gregg Rolie (Santana, Journey);
Guitars = Steve Lukather (Toto), Todd Rundgren (Nazz, Utopia, etc.);
Bass = Richard Page (Mr. Mister);
Sax, Keyboards, Secondary Percussion = Warren Hamm (various, incl. Bloodrock for goodness sakes);
Drums = Greg Bisonette (Vai, Roth), Ringo Starr (legend).

Saw this outstanding show in Albuquerque last Wednesday night.
Highlights :
Rolie's voice is the exact same as 40 years ago with the performance of all the Santana hits..........Lukather took the time to master the Carlos guitar parts perfectly.
Page's voice is amazing............so strong...........so clear............so excellent...........he took the high parts (Kimball) on the Toto songs.
Lukather's guitar mastery was much more impressive than his vocals, which were not bad at all.
Bisontte did a short solo at the end of Oue Como Va.............he did not display half of his capabilities, which were developed at the legendary jazz school at North Texas State, at Denton, Texas.
Starr played steady and solid, if not spectacular, as did Rundgren.

Good show !

Awesome, thanks for the review. Sounds like a good time. As I always disliked Kimball's vocals with Toto, I would have been stoked to hear a different singer sing his parts.

I've always liked Lukather's voice. Nice timbre, and very capable. Helluva guitarist, too, but you knew that. :)

Edit: Incidentally, I was in a CD store this am, and was checking out a book they had displayed on a music stand. I didn't look at the cover, but it was open to a page on Journey. Said that Journey started as a trio, and I thought, wtf? Counted on my fingers: Anusly on drums, Kneel on guitar, Ross the Boss on bass, and Gregg Rolie on keys! Did we leave someone out, mayhaps? :(

MasterCylinder
07-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Awesome, thanks for the review. Sounds like a good time. As I always disliked Kimball's vocals with Toto, I would have been stoked to hear a different singer sing his parts.

I've always liked Lukather's voice. Nice timbre, and very capable. Helluva guitarist, too, but you knew that. :)

Edit: Incidentally, I was in a CD store this am, and was checking out a book they had displayed on a music stand. I didn't look at the cover, but it was open to a page on Journey. Said that Journey started as a trio, and I thought, wtf? Counted on my fingers: Anusly on drums, Kneel on guitar, Ross the Boss on bass, and Gregg Rolie on keys! Did we leave someone out, mayhaps? :(

Wow.............a trio with 4 guys !

Finch Platte
07-14-2014, 05:07 PM
Wow.............a trio with 4 guys !

Yeah, that's hard to do, but back then, you had inflation.