Samsung to end plasma panel display production [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Samsung to end plasma panel display production

Smokey
07-13-2014, 10:39 PM
http://s4.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20140701&t=2&i=915354523&w=580&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=LYNXMPEA6011S

Samsung said on Tuesday that it will shut down its plasma panel production business, citing the decline in overall demand for plasma display panel televisions.

In a statement, Samsung said it will concentrate its resources on growing its energy and materials businesses. The firm plans to end all plasma display operations by November 30.

Samsung SDI says to end plasma panel display production | Reuters (http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/07/01/us-samsung-sdi-plasma-idUKKBN0F62W620140701)

This was inevitable. With current technology such as local dimming (such as Vizio E series), and upcoming OLED technology, Plasma's advantges over LCDs are disappearing.

Jack in Wilmington
07-14-2014, 04:27 AM
This was inevitable. With current technology such as local dimming (such as Vizio E series), and upcoming OLED technology, Plasma's advantges over LCDs are disappearing.

I guess I'll just have to enjoy my two Panasonic plasmas for as long as I can and then make a decision on which way to go, depending on what is out there at that time. I want to check out the Samsung UHD series.

Mr Peabody
07-14-2014, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath for OLED either, some companies have already quit, like Sony. Plasma still has advantages but the masses still want thin & light displays, and, most probably have bright daytime rooms where the plasma isn't so great. I got the impression from what I've read so far companies are putting their eggs in 4k's basket. Seems OLED was too expensive to produce and they couldn't get it cheap enough to launch in time so getting behind 4k. I'm thinking LG and a few off brands are the only ones that have OLED to offer.

A friend of mine just bought a Samsung plasma to replace his aged Panasonic and he loves it, he's a big plasma fan.

Smokey
07-14-2014, 06:47 PM
I guess I'll just have to enjoy my two Panasonic plasmas for as long as I can and then make a decision on which way to go, depending on what is out there at that time. I want to check out the Samsung UHD series.UHD TVs seem also to have their own draw backs. They say it make sources resolution with 720p and lower looks like crap since Tv have to make up 75% of resolution.

Smokey
07-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Seems OLED was too expensive to produce and they couldn't get it cheap enough to launch in time so getting behind 4k. I'm thinking LG and a few off brands are the only ones that have OLED to offer.Samsung CEO said that OLED technology for TVs won't be ready for prime time not at least for another five years. Which is a shame as consumer will probably benefit more with OLED than 4K technology in terms of picture quality :)