Connecting active KEF subwoofer to Marantz 6010OSE [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connecting active KEF subwoofer to Marantz 6010OSE

cheeba35
07-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Hi there all,

I have searched the internet for hours and still dont quite understand what is required,....so I decided before blowing myself up I post this on the forum. I am a bit lost.

I have the MArantz 6010OSE amp (pictured) running to B&W speakers (pictured)

I have just acquired a KEF PSW2000 subwoofer which has its own built in amp (pictured)

link to manual: http://www.lug.demon.co.uk/kef/PSW2000_Owners_manual.pdf

My dilemma is how can I connect the line out from the MArantz to the line in on the KEF sub?

The marantz does not have its own dedicated sub port: all I can find is Tape out and CD-R/MD port (which I guess is another line out)

So can I use either of these as a line out to the Subs line in?

What I am doing at the moment is running 3.5mm jack to phono so the TV is running through the AMP to the B&W's can I then second this signal from the TV out the amp and into the Sub woofer to have the sub and speakers playing the same signal?

Sorry for the long first post however I am well and truly confused any help is greatly appreciated

I am sure this will get more complicated as I have read that you can run the speakers from the AMP to the speaker input on the sub which has confused me even more and to throw into the mix some KEF HTS2001 egg speakers (5 of them) this could get tricky

Thanks everyone and hope this is in the right part of the forum sorry if it isnt!

Smokey
07-13-2014, 10:30 PM
My dilemma is how can I connect the line out from the MArantz to the line in on the KEF sub?

The marantz does not have its own dedicated sub port: all I can find is Tape out and CD-R/MD port (which I guess is another line out)

So can I use either of these as a line out to the Subs line in?

You could, but the signal from tape out is constant which mean you have to use sub's volume. Too inconvenient.

What I am doing at the moment is running 3.5mm jack to phono

I would not use amp's phono input. Phono input have different specification than other RCA inputs (CD, Tape, etc..), and should only used with Phono.

I am sure this will get more complicated as I have read that you can run the speakers from the AMP to the speaker input on the sub which has confused me even more and to throw into the mix some KEF HTS2001 egg speakers (5 of them) this could get tricky.

This will be your best option. Just run a line from amp's right channel and and a line from left channel speaker output to your subwoofer's line in.

3db
07-14-2014, 08:45 AM
This will be your best option. Just run a line from amp's right channel and and a line from left channel speaker output to your subwoofer's line in.

I hope you mean the speaker in on the sub and not the subwoofer in on the sub. Doing the latter will most certainly reduce the subwoofer amp to a pile of burnt carbon bits as well as harming the amp.

Smokey
07-14-2014, 07:35 PM
I hope you mean the speaker in on the sub and not the subwoofer in on the sub. Doing the latter will most certainly reduce the subwoofer amp to a pile of burnt carbon bits as well as harming the amp.Thanks for clarification 3db. Late night post :)

cheeba35
07-23-2014, 01:42 AM
Hi there,

back again.

I have gone for the simple option and am running two speakers wired through the SPEAKER OUTPUT and using the 3.5mm on the line in PHONO ports on sub.

When Switching the sub on for the first time I am getting a buzzing sound and a very faint background noise of the input.

ANy ideas what is goin on here? PS the amp on the sub is NOT powering my speakers either.

Thanks

Smokey
07-24-2014, 07:32 PM
I have gone for the simple option and am running two speakers wired through the SPEAKER OUTPUT and using the 3.5mm on the line in PHONO ports on sub.

Something ain't right as there are no Phono ports on the sub.