Impedance selector on Nad 3020 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Impedance selector on Nad 3020

tony340
07-11-2014, 07:03 AM
I was just knocking around with the my Nad 3020i today, and was trying to use the impedance selector at the back to change it from 8ohm to 4ohm but found that the switch is locked on, it seems it needs to be unscrewed or something to change it. Any idea on how to do this?

I'm trying to understand the meaning of impedance matching, still trying to figure it out. For example, my mission speakers are at a nominal impedance of 8 ohms, so since the Nad has a 4ohm option, wouldn't this give more power to the speakers?

Feanor
07-11-2014, 08:39 AM
I was just knocking around with the my Nad 3020i today, and was trying to use the impedance selector at the back to change it from 8ohm to 4ohm but found that the switch is locked on, it seems it needs to be unscrewed or something to change it. Any idea on how to do this?

I'm trying to understand the meaning of impedance matching, still trying to figure it out. For example, my mission speakers are at a nominal impedance of 8 ohms, so since the Nad has a 4ohm option, wouldn't this give more power to the speakers?

I'd leave the setting at 8 ohms if you speakers are nominal 8 ohms.

The 4 ohm setting on the amp assumes that the speakers will want more current at a given voltage. I don't know exactly what the switch does on a solid state amp like the 3020i, but perhaps setting it to 4 ohms would limit the maximum voltage. That being the case the amp would deliver less, not more, power to 8 ohms.

However maybe there are other people who know better than me ...

tony340
07-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Ok thanks a lot feanor, how about if I were to use a pair of 6 ohm speakers? Also any idea on how to change the selector on the Nad anyone?

Smokey
07-11-2014, 08:29 PM
I'd leave the setting at 8 ohms if you speakers are nominal 8 ohms.

The 4 ohm setting on the amp assumes that the speakers will want more current at a given voltage. I don't know exactly what the switch does on a solid state amp like the 3020i, but perhaps setting it to 4 ohms would limit the maximum voltage. That being the case the amp would deliver less, not more, power to 8 ohms.

I agree. Leave the amp's impedance settin on 8 ohms as it will deliver highest power to speakers.

As you said, 4 ohm setting is just there to protect the amp in case of low impednace speakers load such as 4 ohms. Amp will limit the current (aka power) to the 4 ohm speakers to protect it from current overload :)

Feanor
07-12-2014, 04:52 AM
Ok thanks a lot feanor, how about if I were to use a pair of 6 ohm speakers? Also any idea on how to change the selector on the Nad anyone?
I suppose it would be prudent to set the amp for 4 ohms.