suggestions on new home theater setup? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on new home theater setup?

jedthedeadhead
04-25-2004, 08:51 PM
I am new to the home audio world but not audio. I am going to be buying a new home system my budget for the whole thing is $2500 to $3000. Iwould like suggestions on what to buy the room in witch i will be placing the system is about 15 by 20 feet. I would like to have 7.1.

J.

paul_pci
04-25-2004, 09:37 PM
I am new to the home audio world but not audio. I am going to be buying a new home system my budget for the whole thing is $2500 to $3000. Iwould like suggestions on what to buy the room in witch i will be placing the system is about 15 by 20 feet. I would like to have 7.1.

J.

You can set up a really good system for your budget, but there are a couple of important questions to ensure that you'll get good feedback.

A). Do you intend to buy an A/V receiver or do you want to go with separates? Are there any home theater features you definitely wish to have?

B). How are you allocating your budget. For instance, you could get a kick-ass receiver for anywhere between $800-$1000 leaving the remainder for speakers, subwoofer (look into SVS subwoofers, as they are supposed to be the bomb), and cables.

Don't forget to demo as much equipment as possible.

Happy hunting.

Invader3k
04-26-2004, 04:44 AM
Agree with the other poster...you can get lots of great equipment in the price range you are looking at. One quick point...7.1 is nice, but do you really need it? If you feel you really want it, that is fine, but it isn't always necessary. Besides, your room is 15x20...not small, but not huge either. Will you have room to place all of your speakers in a room that size? If it is going to be a dedicated home theater room, that is one thing, but in a typical living room that can be much more difficult.

Have fun!

J.

jedthedeadhead
04-26-2004, 07:17 AM
I was thinking of the yamaha rx-v2400 i can get one shipped to my house for about $850 and have read some good things on this fourm about the series. Like i said I am new to home audio and want a good clean setup. The room is dedicated to home theater I am putting the 61 inch samsung dlp television in. I am not sure of any place in the salt lake area where i can demo besides something cheesey like best buy. If anyone has any info on a high end shop in his area i would love to know about it. I have heard great things about the epos els-3 and was wondering if a set of 6 and the center would be a good setup.

J.

Resident Loser
04-26-2004, 07:27 AM
...there ain't no place I'd rather be
Baby won't you carry me...
Back to Tennessee..."

Nothing to add to the HT info as I'm not into it...your moniker reminded me of one of my fave cuts from Europe '72...

jimHJJ(...sorry for the intrusion...)

Bryan
04-26-2004, 07:37 AM
Could go with something such as:

Rocket HT package #3 (http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=12.1) - $1,649 plus shipping
Rocket Risers for RS550s - $125 shipped
SVS (http://www.svsubwoofers.com) 25-31PCi - $549 plus shipping
Yamaha HTR-5750 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077626340063&skuId=6304723&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03031) - $399.99 shipped

Total - $2,722.99 plus shipping. Granted it still is only 5.1 but you can add another pair of RS150s or RS250s at a later time if you so choose to. Other names to check out online include Axiom, nOrh, Ascend Acoustics, HSU, Adire Audio, and Magnepan. Locally, JBL, Infinity, B&W, Def Tech, Polk, and Dynaudio all should be found.