Greetings from upper Toadtown Heights Estates! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from upper Toadtown Heights Estates!

David Jackson
06-27-2014, 09:34 PM
This is my first post here. I am not really a hi-fi nut any more although I used to be about 50 years ago, when I had no house payments, no wife, no washer, no dryer, etc. etc.
I had lots of high end stuff in the 1960s; still have some of it, KLH model 12s, KLH model 4s (which I just took out of mothballs); and somewhat later stuff MC 2105 and MC 26; which was good stuff in those days though others would call out different names.
Still it's good to learn about what's new now.
I just picked up an AIWA AV-D58 for my garage sound system and have no remote. It seems some features can only be accessed throuth the remote and they are no longer made. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
David J.

Mr Peabody
06-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Hi, welcome to the forums. A universal remote may help but I'm not sure if they are thorough enough to access menus etc. Some gear these days, mostly streaming and home theater have phone aps where you can use a smart phone for remote, it would be a long shot for your piece but if it's not too old it's worth a look.

You are taking you gear out of storage just in time "vintage" gear is all the rage these days in some circles.

harley .guy07
07-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Replacement Remote for Aiwa AVD67U U0047544U AVD57U RCAAR02 AVD58 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111089776844?lpid=82)

I found the replacement remote on ebay with the link above.

I also found a brand new one at 1-800-remotes, I have never used them so I can not say how reputable they are but here is the link

AIWA AVD58 Remote Control (http://remotes.com/store/aiwa/avd58.html)

I hope this helps and you might be ok with a universal remote like Mr P said.
good luck

Mr Peabody
07-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Good info Harley, nice of you..

David Harper
07-21-2014, 09:14 AM
I'm new here ,and pretty retarded on computers,so bear with me. I don't even know if I'll be able to locate this post in the future, but here goes; I haven't been an audiophile for thirty years, but I recently bought a Denon AVR X1100W AV receiver. I was told it was one of the best on the market for it's price. After getting it all set up(which took me two days of fooling with all its menus and stuff), it seems to me that it doesn't sound as good as my twenty year old Sherwood receiver sounded. Is this possible?

Mr Peabody
07-21-2014, 01:55 PM
"Sounds better" is subjective and there's no right or wrong. Sometimes we are used to something and what's new is a change from that, we like what we like. However, in my opinion I can't imagine anything Sherwood being better than anything Denon. I don't know the Sherwood history, maybe at some point in the 60's or something they made competitive gear but I personally have yet to hear anything by the company that would rank above entry level. Don't take offense, I haven't heard every single Sherwood, and I always try to remain open minded, I'm just saying based on my experience to date.

Most AVR's have a "bypass" or "music" mode, not sure what Denon calls it, but it's a mode for music listening that bypasses the internal processing. The different AVR's I've heard benefit a lot in this mode when listening to music. I would also recommend running the auto set up feature if your Denon has that, it helps to EQ the system's response to your room.

What is it about the Denon you think lacks in comparison, or better about the Sherwood?

David Jackson
07-22-2014, 03:56 AM
Seems to me that I remember back in the late 1950s possibly, that Sherwood had a great reputation for FM tuners. I think I had one back in those days.