Best decade for Rock music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best decade for Rock music

Smokey
06-21-2014, 10:31 PM
In your opinion, which decade from 20th century produced the best rock music?

IMO, that would the 80's. 50's was the rock trail balazers, 60s was flowering that genra, and 70s was maturation of rock.

But in the 80's Rock was revaitatlize by punck, alternative and prograssive movements, thus producing some of the best rock music.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IBBkFAOJLC0/S5mgV8HhNtI/AAAAAAAAAAg/cbayjZow5QY/80%27s.jpg

3LB
06-22-2014, 10:42 AM
There was a lot of great music in the '80s to be sure, but the progressive and punk element you mentioned emanated from the '70s, at least the ones with which I'm familiar. And even though MTV kinda took over and kinda ruined metal for me, there was still a lot of good non-video influenced music if you looked for it. Not to bemoan MTV too much though, as I loved it when it first came out.

I'm gonna go with the '70s though, even though the '80s were my teen/early 20s years. So much great music and innovation. Everything I listen to now is pretty musch influenced by that decade, from prog to fusion to funk.

unleasHell
06-22-2014, 11:29 AM
very tough call, I will go with the 80's, followed ever so closely by the 70's...

Mr Peabody
06-22-2014, 11:45 AM
I too am going with the 70's, a lot of experimenting was still going on and still allowed, many 70's bands couldn't get in the front door of a record company today.

I love the 50's and for the most part seems to be a forgotten decade, so much good R&R.

Being a Hard Rock fan I didn't like the 80's much but did watch MTV and now find myself going back and appreciating some of that "New Wave" or synth music. The Headbangers Ball ruled :)

Not a big Grundge fan so the 90's was pretty much lost on me, now I'm going back and appreciating some of the 90's bands like Linkin Park and I'm a big Incubus fan. To clarify I realize the latter is not Grunge it's just that they seemed to all be lumped together on the same stations so took a while to find them. My Grunge is still very limited.

2000's looking up once I discoved Prog wasn't dead and European Metal acts like Tristania, Nightwish etc. I think it was this decade I also found bands like Godsmack & Disturbed.

This is just a snapshot my collection grew in other areas along the way as well in Jazz, Classical & misc.

recoveryone
06-22-2014, 11:50 AM
60's, several of the groups from this era went way into the 70's and dominated the charts. Rock had fell behind R&B&Disco during the 70's and groups like Kiss (shows not music) and Led Zepplin kept the torch going. There were so many groups from the sixties that have had major infulance til this day on groups/artist.

Look up greatest Rock songs of the 70's and see how many artist/groups from the 60's are listed compared to the 70's artist.

From Yahoo.com

Iconic musical events like the British Invasion, Monterey Pop Festival, Woodstock and the Altamont Free Concert evoke memories of the rock genre coming into full maturity during the tumultuous '60s. The 1960s produced some of the greatest rock bands of all-time, including: The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Doors, Cream and Led Zeppelin, to name a few. The decade also produced some of the greatest singer/songwriters and performers like Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix.

MasterCylinder
06-23-2014, 04:09 AM
I'm going to make up my own decade.............1967 - 1977..............awesome.

Feanor
06-23-2014, 05:12 AM
In your opinion, which decade from 20th century produced the best rock music?

IMO, that would the 80's. 50's was the rock trail balazers, 60s was flowering that genra, and 70s was maturation of rock.

But in the 80's Rock was revaitatlize by punck, alternative and prograssive movements, thus producing some of the best rock music.

I don't know. Perhaps you ould make your point by listing some of the iconic Rock groups or songs of '80s.

I never listened to much rock music: I always preferred Classical above all, plus the Folk of the '60s and '70s and some Jazz. By the time the '80s rolled around I don't recall listening any Rock at all, but with some examples from you and others I might be reminded.

blackraven
06-23-2014, 05:58 AM
The late 50's to the 70's.

Smokey
06-24-2014, 08:07 PM
There was a lot of great music in the '80s to be sure, but the progressive and punk element you mentioned emanated from the '70s, at least the ones with which I'm familiar.It is true that Sex Pistols 1977 album "Never Mind The Bollocks" was the pioneer in punk rock. But it was not untill 1980 Clash's "London Calling" album that progressive and punk took hold and pushed it to main stream.

Smokey
06-24-2014, 08:11 PM
I don't know. Perhaps you ould make your point by listing some of the iconic Rock groups or songs of '80s.Just to mention few, Simple Minds, R.E.M., Roxy Music, Talking Heads, Duran Duran and Journey comes to mind.

recoveryone
06-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Just to mention few, Simple Minds, R.E.M., Roxy Music, Talking Heads, Duran Duran and Journey comes to mind.

I'm not seeking to shoot holes in your choices Smokey, but most of the choices will be based on what era one grew up in.

I can take each of the groups above and place them against a group from the 60's and say they had to had gotten their style from that. You also have to think the groups from the 70's and 80's (punk/ Heavy metal) Are my age and grew up listening to the groups from the 60's which many of the styles are based on.

Feanor
06-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Just to mention few, Simple Minds, R.E.M., Roxy Music, Talking Heads, Duran Duran and Journey comes to mind.
I believe I've heard the name, Duran Duran; don't recall any songs though. The rest are new to me.

Smokey
06-25-2014, 04:08 PM
I can take each of the groups above and place them against a group from the 60's and say they had to had gotten their style from that. You also have to think the groups from the 70's and 80's (punk/ Heavy metal) Are my age and grew up listening to the groups from the 60's which many of the styles are based on.

There is no denying that as that is very much true. Music is never created in the vacum as musicians are always influence by bands and musicans that cem before them.

For example, the 80s progressive group R.E.M. was influence by 60's group The Byrds :)

Smokey
06-25-2014, 04:12 PM
I believe I've heard the name, Duran Duran; don't recall any songs though. The rest are new to me.

Wow, can't believe you never heard of those groups as they ruled the 80's progressive scenes. Alot of good music to be heard for sure.

That is if you're into progressive rock :)

RoyY51
06-25-2014, 06:15 PM
1963 to 1973...all the greats were in there!