Monitor Audio BX2 advice please [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Audio BX2 advice please

tony340
06-20-2014, 02:19 AM
Hi guys, I'm considering these to upgrade from my old mission 731's. It's to be used with my Nad 3020i. Any one using them? Do u think it'll be a good match with the 3020i? Thanks for all ur replies

blackraven
06-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Hi guys, I'm considering these to upgrade from my old mission 731's. It's to be used with my Nad 3020i. Any one using them? Do u think it'll be a good match with the 3020i? Thanks for all ur replies

I think that they would be an upgrade but as far as system matching, I can't help you there. I have a pair of the older Monitor Audio Silver S1's which sound great but it took about 100hrs of break in for them to come into their own. I run mine with a cheap Dayton DTA-100a digital amp and a Denon DVD player as a source.

If your NAD is a good sounding amp, then I don't see why the BX's would not sound good. I would worry more about the source.

Here is a nice little review of the BX's-

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 review from the experts at whathifi.com (http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Monitor-Audio-Bronze-BX2/)

Other speakers to consider are PSB B6's and Wharfedale 10.2's.

JohnMichael
06-20-2014, 08:16 AM
I can only speak about the MA RS6's but I think MA has a house sound with their choice of driver materials. I have tried and tried again to like my RS6's. They have been all over the room and tried all the cables in my arsenal. I ended up deciding they are too strident with classical music. I am liking the Focal 806 speakers more and more. They are detailed and do the best at reproducing brass instruments. They work well in my smallish room and have little character of their own. The MA's contributed too much of their characteristics to the sound.

TheHills44060
06-20-2014, 09:01 AM
Regardless of which integrated you are using I've never liked the Monitor Audio sound. Very similar to Paradigm where after some time of listening i feel like one of those bugs from the Star Trek Wrath of Khan movie is eating away at my brain. Too harsh, bright or whatever similar adjective you want to use. I'd keep the Missions or look somewhere else but that's my ears talking.

blackraven
06-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Regardless of which integrated you are using I've never liked the Monitor Audio sound. Very similar to Paradigm where after some time of listening i feel like one of those bugs from the Star Trek Wrath of Khan movie is eating away at my brain. Too harsh, bright or whatever similar adjective you want to use. I'd keep the Missions or look somewhere else but that's my ears talking.

My S1's are very neutral sounding and very detailed. I found the B&W 685's much more bright when I was looking for a pair of bookshelfs. And the Paradigms that I looked at were even worse. My favorite where the NHT Classic 3's but they were just a bit more than I wanted to spend.

If you want a nice smooth and forgiving speaker with punchy bass give a listen to the PSB B6's. They have a little warmer sound but they are not as detailed as my S1's.

JohnMichael
06-20-2014, 09:26 AM

Excellent description. Even my dog would not stay in the living room when I had them in use. The Focal 806V's are very detailed, very slightly warm and a fast punchy bass.

tony340
06-20-2014, 09:49 AM
Hmm thanks guys, appreciate ur advice, as always. The PSB's black raven are out of my budget, they are around $600 here. I'm looking for something around $300 as this is for my second system. They're selling the BX2 for $250 but I can't unfortunately audition with my amp... But the 3020i is a fine little amp with a lot of oomph and I like the sound very much from it, very tube line, warm sound, just feel the speakers can be better for this amp. Not many options I'm guessing in the $300 range. But would love to hear any inputs. Thanks

JohnMichael
06-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Hmm thanks guys, appreciate ur advice, as always. The PSB's black raven are out of my budget, they are around $600 here. I'm looking for something around $300 as this is for my second system. They're selling the BX2 for $250 but I can't unfortunately audition with my amp... But the 3020i is a fine little amp with a lot of oomph and I like the sound very much from it, very tube line, warm sound, just feel the speakers can be better for this amp. Not many options I'm guessing in the $300 range. But would love to hear any inputs. Thanks

I just received a sales email from Music Direct. they have a pair of Focal Chorus 705V for $325 a pair. Free shipping and depending on where you live may be no sales tax.

TheHills44060
06-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Hi Tony. Yes that NAD you have is very nice so you have that base covered. Its too bad you cant audition because who knows you may like the MA type of sound but I'd go for the Focal JM recommended over the MA's in a heartbeat and they are a steal at $325. The NAD and Focal combo would be a very solid combo for the majority of people.

tony340
06-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Thanks John and the hills, appreciate the advice and I'm really gunning for those focal speakers unfortunately as I said earlier, I live in Vietnam, music direct and a lot of online stores only ship within the states. This is and always has been my problem guys. Thanks so much for all ur advice, again I'm so grateful

JohnMichael
06-20-2014, 06:04 PM
Thanks John and the hills, appreciate the advice and I'm really gunning for those focal speakers unfortunately as I said earlier, I live in Vietnam, music direct and a lot of online stores only ship within the states. This is and always has been my problem guys. Thanks so much for all ur advice, again I'm so grateful

You can list your location, as many of us do, in your profile so we do not forget and give you advice that will not work. I do not even think MD ships to Canada.

tony340
06-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Yeah sorry about that JM, I'll get that edited. It's hard being an audio enthusiast here as the options are quite limited. There is one shop tho selling the Usher S-520 for around my budget, I remember asking about them in a thread sometime ago. Can't seem to find it. Would these be a better choice than the Monitor Audio? I actually tried the MA BX2 this morning, it was hooked up with the Marantz 6005 combo, I thought it sounded quite bright and clinical, immediately remembered what u guys described about the MA sound. perhaps my Nad would give it the warmth to negate the brightness. I'm still to check out the Ushers tho, heard they need alot of break in to come to it's true potential.

JohnMichael
06-20-2014, 09:27 PM
I have never heard the Ushers but one review that talked about how well they did dynamics almost brought them home. I also liked the idea of their matching woofer/stands they offer. I would seriously consider them if you like the audition.

tony340
06-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Ok so I checked out the Ushers today, connected to a marantz 6005 combo again, and the overall sound quality was far warmer and detailed than the BX2's. At least to my ears. The reproduction of vocals and instruments were really good, even the bass was more taught and pronounced than the MA's. The shop owner told me that these have several hundred hours of play, and the sound will be different on a brand new pair. I think I'll go with these, but I've another question. My current speakers are on top of a hard wood shelf. Now what I've done is, I've blu tacked 2 slabs of granite on the shelf and again blu tacked the speakers onto the granite slabs. I can't unfortunately place them on stands, my apt isn't big enough. What do u guys think, any better way of placing the speakers on the shelf? I'm worried whether this shortcoming could compromise the overall sound of the Ushers.

JohnMichael
06-22-2014, 01:14 AM
As long as the shelf is not too high or too low I think your speakers will work. One time I had speakers on a shelf and I put some foam on the wall behind. Looked bad but kept early reflections to a minimum.

TheHills44060
06-22-2014, 03:56 AM
...even the bass was more taught and pronounced than the MA's.
Ok whew, when you mentioned the Ushers i was worried about this because they a much smaller speaker and the first thing i thought you'd miss is the bass so that's good to hear.

The shelf placement isnt ideal but dont worry about it. They will still sound good. Blu tack is a good idea so just sit back and enjoy.

tony340
06-26-2014, 01:36 AM
Thanks so much as always guys appreciate everything

tony340
06-28-2014, 05:18 AM
Hey guys a quick question, one of my friends in the States has bought a pair of pioneer sp-bs22-lr bookshelves, and is raving about it. I too read some positive reviews of it, and is ridiculously priced at $130!!!! Anyone heard these? Was contemplating asking my friend to send me a pair as they're not available in Asia it seems. Are the raves really true or is it just a decent speaker for the crazy low price?

TheHills44060
06-30-2014, 04:39 AM
I've seen them in the store but never actually heard them. People seem to really like them and I'm constantly seeing threads in forums like these about 'em so for the price they sound like a winner. I think some of the other guys here have actually heard them in person.

tony340
06-30-2014, 05:19 AM
Hills, this is exactly what I've been hearing as well. A friend of mine like i said is raving about them. Only trouble for me is that it is not available in Asia. I've to get it down from the states. Would love to hear more about them from those who have them.

blackraven
07-01-2014, 09:41 AM
I have heard a pair on a reference Van Alstine system at Frank's house. They sounded good but not great. For the price they are hard to beat. They need a sub to fill out the sound. They would be good for a small area.