Cerwin Vegas vs Acustech [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cerwin Vegas vs Acustech

techtq
06-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Im new to the forum and I apologize if this questions isnt as technical as most. But i'm a college kid looking to buy a set of speakers for my room next semester. I have a Denon x1000 thats pushing 175 watts/channel and I need some relatively inexpensive speakers ($600 max) but I can go slightly over that if i need to. I was looking into getting some Cerwin Vega VE12f's because Ive heard they can bump, but theyre on the pricey end of what i can spend. I also found the BIC acustech Pl 76 and pl 89, and although CV has a better name, the BIC's specs seem impressive. I want the speakers to be as loud as possible, but I also value the audio quality. The PL76's have excellent sensitivity for the price, but I am still unsure if I should play it safe with CV. Let me know what you think. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thank you for the help!

TheHills44060
06-19-2014, 04:05 AM
Good choice on the X1000 I like that receiver. Hmmm well if you're looking to host some parties and want speakers that can take a pretty good beating i don't think you can go wrong with those Vega's. I've never heard the BIC's but like you stated their specs claim a very high sensitivity and they do have a horn tweeter. They are also slimmer which may make they easier to place in your room if that's an issue.

In the end when I think of my college days I'd go the CV route no bones about it. I think that Denon should have enough power to drive them decently.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Gotta agree with TheHills on this one. While not the best in sound quality(unless you can get your hands on the CLS-15 which sound pretty good), the CV are party speakers on steroids. Much like JBL, they play very loud, and can do it for long periods of time.

techtq
06-19-2014, 04:17 PM
Okay, my main attraction to the PL76 and 89's were the extra 6 units of sensitivity which would cut the wattage required to reach the same volume by more than 2X thus not straining the speakers at all. Ive also hear a lot about the almost muddy sound of CV's. those were my main concerns with the Vegas. And for the Acustechs, whether they would be loud enough to function in a 2.1 system, which is what I hope to be able to do with the pair of speakers. Im not sure if the 2.1 setup changes anything too much? Not sure how well tower speakers will function as solo main speakers