Will Xbox cause burn... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Will Xbox cause burn...

AZHT
04-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Hi, I just got an Xbox and want to hook it up to my widescreen. Will Xbox cause burn-in on a Toshiba Hi-Definition widescreen TV. It is a 57" rear projection. Thanks.

N. Abstentia
04-25-2004, 09:04 PM
As long as you don't leave a paused screen on it for days straight you should be fine.

Doc Adams
04-25-2004, 09:27 PM
Hi, I just got an Xbox and want to hook it up to my widescreen. Will Xbox cause burn-in on a Toshiba Hi-Definition widescreen TV. It is a 57" rear projection. Thanks.

It will cause burn in, but the time required to achive a burn in is in question. It is certainlly much shorter than 'days', but not minutes either. Maybe the manufacturer could help you, or try a user ghroup on Yahoo that deals with rear projection TVs. When we were researching which wide screen rear projection TV to buy we came across several people on the Yahoo group who had ruined their TV with burn in, mostly caused by computer games, and after only hours, not days. One poor guy only had his TV for three or four days as a matter of fact. Burn In is not covered by warranty. One does need to be careful. Our DVD player defaults to a 'bouncing' logo after only 15 minutes of static screen. If you have TIVO or "TIVO like" machines you must also be careful with them too. Our "Tivo like" Echostar unit will default to a static menu after recording a program. That menu will burn in if we allow it to display too long. Perhaps your Toshiba will have some sort of protection timer built in? If you just do some research and exercise some caution you should be just fine. Good luck, Doc.

Widowmaker
04-26-2004, 09:46 AM

Yes it will but with proper care, the likelihood would be low. Don't keep static images on the screen, turn your brightness and contrast low, and channel flip a lot.

One thing you want to be concerned about is watching DVD movies. Notice how even on a widescreen TV you will still have black bars above and below the image? Those can burn in as well but again, with proper care, it can be avoided.