Hello from Hong Kong! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Hong Kong!

RinMotion
06-14-2014, 12:09 AM
Hello all. I am new to audio and speakers. For the last couple of years I have been listening only through headphones. When I recently bought the HD800 and and integrated amp that also had speaker outputs, I started to think about trying speakers. So now I have to come up with ways or excuses to explain to my wife why I NEED to get another pair of speakers... It was hard enough to do this with headphones. Speakers is a whole new world, in addition to the fact that you can't actually hide them too easily. lol

I will start a new thread on a set of speakers that I am auditioning now and I am lost so I will need some help from you all. :)

Mr Peabody
06-14-2014, 09:08 AM
Welcome to AR. Luckily you can find some decent performing monitor/bookshelf type speakers for the price range of the HD800's or less. Nice headphones by the way.

harley .guy07
06-14-2014, 12:53 PM
You also might check out if Hong Kong has good used high end audio web site or store so that you might be able to get more for your money

TheHills44060
06-14-2014, 03:21 PM
I absolutely love HK the most vertical city in the world. Looking forward to your speaker selection journey.

RinMotion
06-15-2014, 10:15 PM
Welcome to AR. Luckily you can find some decent performing monitor/bookshelf type speakers for the price range of the HD800's or less. Nice headphones by the way.
Thanks for the welcome note Mr Peabody! Your statement is so true. In terms of the price of speakers vs. the price of headphones, I can't believe the number of possibilities that are available for the price of my headphones. My problem here in Hong Kong is the amount of space available to me. Back in Toronto, I could have easily kept multiple sets of speakers in the family/living room or even stored some of them away in the basement. This is certainly not the case here and that's probably a good thing (for my wallet at least).

I can't say enough about the HD800 from a headphone perspective. But now that I am getting the chance to listen to speakers, it's a whole different world. Not really that comparable but in terms of just headphones, the HD800 has very few competitors that can do some of the things it does so well. I highly recommend them to anyone that has not entered the headphone world yet, if they ever do get into it.

You also might check out if Hong Kong has good used high end audio web site or store so that you might be able to get more for your money
Thanks harley guy. This is a very good and wise point. My first pair of speakers that I bought were brand new. Now I want to experiment with used speakers so that I won't get killed if I ever want to try something else. My problem is that I cannot read Chinese but most of the second hand market sales on the internet are written in Chinese. Google translation helps but sometimes it is more entertaining than helpful. lol There is no eBay in Hong Kong too. People here rather deal with each other in person so the classifieds on internet are only to introduce the buyer and seller to each other in a sense, then they plan out where to meet and do the transaction.

I absolutely love HK the most vertical city in the world. Looking forward to your speaker selection journey.
Hello TheHills, it certainly is a very vertical city. If you don't look up as you go shopping or dining, you are missing about 4/5'ths of the economy. For example, the two shops where I bought my amp, dac, and first pair of speakers/centre has 16 floors, all of which except for one, sells mid to high-end audio equipment.

Since buying those speakers about two months ago (Cerwin Vega CMX6 and CX45 (or something like that)), I have bought a pair of Dynaudio DM 2/7 on the second hand market, and am now auditioning a used set of Final Sound F90i speakers and S110 sub. Suddenly I have forgotten all about my headphone hobby. :)

Mr Peabody
06-16-2014, 05:30 AM
How do you like the Dynaudio, I would think them to sound good. I haven't heard the DM series but have heard much of the Dynaudio line and series.

Hyfi
06-16-2014, 05:45 AM
How do you like the Dynaudio, I would think them to sound good. I haven't heard the DM series but have heard much of the Dynaudio line and series.

Mr P- It's odd what Dynaudio did. They created the Excite line to replace the Audience line, and then offered the DM line that looks just like the Audience. I have not compared all the specs but would expect them to sound pretty good with good amplification.

Welcome Rin

RinMotion
06-17-2014, 04:29 PM
I did it again. I had a nice long response done for both of you and then I left it for a while and came back to finish it. Then when I submitted it, it told me that I couldn't post it because my time had expired. Tried to do the back key but it didn't work. I have to remember to copy each time I do this just in case.

Unfortunately I do not have much experience to provide a proper description of their sound but to me, they sound very clean and transparent. Nothing is over done but everything is done well. Bass is quick and punchy, not bloated at all. The mids, I am not very good at judging so I will leave that out. I tend to like a lot of highs based on my experience with headphones and what others in that hobby tend to think. So to me, the highs on the 2/7s are just about right. Certainly not too much but for most others, that probably means it is very good to perfect.

Mr P- It's odd what Dynaudio did. They created the Excite line to replace the Audience line, and then offered the DM line that looks just like the Audience. I have not compared all the specs but would expect them to sound pretty good with good amplification.

Welcome Rin
I really don't know anything about the history of the Dynaudio models. My decision to buy them was based on reviews on the internet and they were bang on. I am very happy with them and I have them hooked up with my audio set up in my bedroom.

I almost traded them away recently. I have this problem that I like to continue looking at speakers for sale even though I already have two pairs and I live in one of these small Hong Kong flats (relative to what I have lived in all my life in Canada). I have no problem with living in these smaller spaces but it is not appropriate for speaker stockpiling. :) Anyway, I came across this ad for a pair of very nice floorstanders that were out of my budget, which my wife will say is exactly $0.00. So I asked the seller if he would be interested in taking back a pair of bookshelf speakers to make the deal easier for me to gain WAF. Giving him the choice of the two pairs that I have, he chose the Dynaudio, as I suspected he would. As I was at home listening to the speakers all day, when I had to respond to the seller of a pair of nice floorstanders, I just couldn't see myself letting them go.

I still can't see myself letting them go but I know that if I want to get any other pair of speakers, it will be hard to get WAF without making space available for the new pair. :(