New Receiver For Family Room Setup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Receiver For Family Room Setup

Jack in Wilmington
06-13-2014, 04:06 AM
Starting to have trouble with the Family Room receiver. It's an Onkyo TX-NR509. Not quite 3 years old and having trouble with it sending a signal to the speakers. You have to turn it off and on several times before the speaker indicators light up on the LED display. This is the second receiver that I've had trouble with in this system. It is in a cabinet and does get about 6 hours of use a day. Do you think heat could be a factor? I just ordered a Yamaha RX-V475 as the Onkyo's replacement. It's the last model before the current model and was nicely discounted and it arrives on Sunday.

Hyfi
06-13-2014, 04:33 AM
Looks decent Jack.

I always have taken the backs off of any cabinets used for my gear, sometimes replacing with burlap. Heat can kill gear, but who knows, so can bad quality control which is today's mass market norm. I kinda wish I had bought a Yamaha instead of the Integra, but for a few movies a month, I don't really care.

How did that speaker demo go?

3db
06-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Starting to have trouble with the Family Room receiver. It's an Onkyo TX-NR509. Not quite 3 years old and having trouble with it sending a signal to the speakers. You have to turn it off and on several times before the speaker indicators light up on the LED display. This is the second receiver that I've had trouble with in this system. It is in a cabinet and does get about 6 hours of use a day. Do you think heat could be a factor? I just ordered a Yamaha RX-V475 as the Onkyo's replacement. It's the last model before the current model and was nicely discounted and it arrives on Sunday.

Excessive heat will always kill electronics. Onkyo engineers IHO have done a lousy job on the thermal analysis of their AVRs. They tend to run very hot so good ventilation is key in keeping your Onkyo running cleanly.

Please describe how much free space is around the Onkyo. DO you listen to it with the doors to the cabinet open or closed?

Jack in Wilmington
06-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Excessive heat will always kill electronics. Onkyo engineers IHO have done a lousy job on the thermal analysis of their AVRs. They tend to run very hot so good ventilation is key in keeping your Onkyo running cleanly.

Please describe how much free space is around the Onkyo. DO you listen to it with the doors to the cabinet open or closed?

Teen playing here is probably 6 inches above the unit and about 4 inches on either side. I do open the doors but generally after it has been playing for a couple hours. I am going to open the doors when I get the Yamaha and see how cool or warm it runs.

Jack in Wilmington
06-13-2014, 01:10 PM
It turns out that it's June 21st and we'll be on vacation. Never fails.

Jack in Wilmington
06-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Just got done hooking up the Yamaha RX-V475 and what a great picture. The wife was the first to say something as I was getting the microphone out to set speaker levels. She says "what's different" and I say "what do you mean", as my nose is still stuck in the manual. I look up and I'm at a loss for words. She says "now this is Hi-Def". What a difference from the Onkyo.

bfalls
06-16-2014, 04:21 PM
The problem with the Onkyo could be the speaker relay. Usually there is a delay while the power supply charges and before the relay switches which keeps the speakers from popping. Could be either the delay circuit which triggers the relay, or the relay itself. Just a guess.

Mr Peabody
06-17-2014, 06:19 PM
Notice any difference in sound between the two? Odd there would be any difference in video unless maybe a setting was not right on the Onkyo, like, resolution, or bypass vx. upsampling etc.

Which speakers were you going to hear?

Hyfi
06-18-2014, 03:29 AM
It was Magico's new S3 speaker, but his vacation got in the way. I am hoping to get to hear some Harbeth speakers in 2 weeks while on vacation if I can arrange it.

Jack in Wilmington
06-18-2014, 04:04 AM
Notice any difference in sound between the two? Odd there would be any difference in video unless maybe a setting was not right on the Onkyo, like, resolution, or bypass vx. upsampling etc.

Which speakers were you going to hear?

I was quite surprised myself. Didn't notice any difference in sound. It's just a three speaker setup using two Paradigm Mini Monitors left and right and a Paradigm center channel. I'm still getting used to the Yamaha as far as sound fields and the display.