Good cheap working shoes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good cheap working shoes

Smokey
06-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Can anybody recommend a good quality working shoes that is not too expensive (preferably under $50).

I am on my feet all day long and do alot of outdoor walking (hiking shoes) and the shoes won't last me but couple of months. So was looking for something more durable that can be purchased locally.

Timberland seem to make good quality hiking/working shoes, but slightly out of my price range :)

Thanks.

bfalls
06-11-2014, 06:30 AM
Rockport or New Balance are known to be good quality, comfortable, walking shoes. I've had several pairs of Rockports and can say they have always been comfortable and durable. I've only had New Balance court shoes for Racquetball and they have been durable and not uncomfortable, but never really evaluated them for walking. You can find both brands on sale frequently and reasonably priced.

noddin0ff
06-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Well, my farming, money-minding grandfather used to say that the important things to look after in life were good shoes and good teeth. After that, not much was important.

For shoes I'm of the opinion that a little more up front gives you a shoe that lasts much longer. In the long run that's a savings. You don't say what wears out. Or if your looking for a boot or a shoe. I'm assuming a shoe, that's durable and comfortable.

I know these recs aren't the price range your looking for. Sometimes you can get a good deal in one of the shoe outlet type stores but still in the $70+ range. For my foot, I like Ecco. I have a boot tread shoe that I've had for 9 years now. I wear it fall-winter, the soles wear like iron relative to other shoes and boots I've had (I wear the heel fast). I at first choked at the high price, but I would have gone through 3 other shoes by now. Plus they tend to be very light and flexible.

Short of Ecco, I'd look at Clarks. Very comfortable.
In the past I've found Timberland long lasting but very stiff and hard on the foot. Other brands just don't fit my feet.

I'm not looking for shoes, but if I were, I might check out this one
Mens Vermont | Sport | Men's Outdoor Shoes | ECCO USA (http://us.shop.ecco.com/ECCO-Mens-Vermont/830564,default,pd.html?dwvar_830564_color=52407#pr efn1=descriptor&prefv1=Boots&sz=38&cgid=men)

Hyfi
06-11-2014, 08:37 AM
What size? I have a barely used pair of Sears Diehard Steel Toe Work Shoes on Craigslist for $35

Smokey
06-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Rockport or New Balance are known to be good quality, comfortable, walking shoes. I've had several pairs of Rockports and can say they have always been comfortable and durable.

I like the style of Rockport shoes better than NB. Have to see if carried locally.

ForeverAutumn
06-11-2014, 06:20 PM
I'm with noddingOff on the shoe thing. You can spend a bit more and get a shoe that will last longer and be more comfortable. In the end you'll spend less to buy one pair of $100 shoes that will last you as long as three pair of $50 shoes.

Smokey
06-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Well, my farming, money-minding grandfather used to say that the important things to look after in life were good shoes and good teeth. After that, not much was important.

Never heard that before, but good advice :)

You don't say what wears out. Or if your looking for a boot or a shoe. I'm assuming a shoe, that's durable and comfortable.

I looking like hybrid work/hiking shoes like these:

http://s.stpost.com/eccstorefront/product_images/88662/f_88662_1.1.jpg

The first thing that usually wears out is the shoe's sole start having cracks. Or upper part separating from sole as it seem it is glues together. As you said, Timberland seem to be good shoes, but reviews rated it as very stiff.

Smokey
06-11-2014, 06:35 PM
What size? I have a barely used pair of Sears Diehard Steel Toe Work Shoes on Craigslist for $35

Lets keep it that way :D

Steel toe shoes seem to trade safety for comfort as I find most of them too rigid, especially around the toe area.

Smokey
06-11-2014, 06:43 PM
I'm with noddingOff on the shoe thing. You can spend a bit more and get a shoe that will last longer and be more comfortable. In the end you'll spend less to buy one pair of $100 shoes that will last you as long as three pair of $50 shoes.

The problem I have is that shoes get very dirty and weather beaten, so probably like to change shoes every six months. Most shoes I owned won't pass 2 or 3 months usage.

This is true story. I bought a pair of working shoes from Target store for $20, and it only lasted two week :incazzato:

Hyfi
06-12-2014, 03:21 AM
Lets keep it that way :D

Steel toe shoes seem to trade safety for comfort as I find most of them too rigid, especially around the toe area.

I don't like them either. I was forced to buy them because I had to do an install in a Union Shop so it was required. I wore them for 3 weeks.

noddin0ff
06-12-2014, 05:13 AM
Take a look a Merrell. In theory since they're coming from the hiking boot background they may last longer. I like their styling. Very walkable. I don't find the soles quite as soft. Probably on par with Timberland, but Merrell is likely a more flexible shoe. REI outlet has some good clearance pricing. Still a bit over on $ though. But at least with a discount.
Men's Shoes at REI-OUTLET (http://www.rei.com/outlet/c/mens-shoes)

ForeverAutumn
06-12-2014, 07:34 AM
I know that I wear different types of shoes than you are looking for, but I always put comfort over fashion. I'm lucky when I can find both. :) I own several Merrell shoes and sandals and they are one of my favourite brands.

I will also endorse Rockport, mentioned above, as a comfortable and well-priced brand. Find them on sale or at an outlet store. They're owned by Reebok.

I also love Ecco and Mephisto, but they're probably both more than you want to spend from the sounds of it.

My husband bought a pair of sandals at Wal-mart once for about $15. He was very proud of himself for finding such a great deal. The shoes literally broke in half, while he was wearing them, within two weeks. LOL!

Hyfi
06-12-2014, 07:48 AM
I am the same as you, FA. I don't give a hoot about style, only comfort. Most of my shoes cost on the plus side of $100, but last many years. I just retired a 20 y/o pair of Joseph Sable shoes only because I was tired of wearing them, not that they wore out. I just recently bought a pair of Ula Kai shoes that are the most comfortable pair I have had for years, but out of Smoky's range also at $150 /pair.

3LB
06-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Im fixing to find out about work boot quality/price. I'm a utility locator and traverse all types of terrain. I've gone through three different pairs of budget boots ($40-$70 range) in a year and finally bit the bullet and bought Redwings ($140)... we'll see. My problem is that the linings wear out in the heel, then seals around the sole after that.

Smokey
10-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Could you guys recommend a brand that caters to both men and women??

It really depend what type of shoes you are looking for. These are couple that tried and like from Walmart (for 1/2 price :D).

If you are working outdoors and your shoes tend to get dirty, I would recommend 50Peaks hicking shoes. They lasted over six months which is pretty good considering how hard I am on shoes (2 miles daily walkin). $30-35
http://images.shuperb.co.uk/images/products/zoom/1332598028-94919100.jpg

For more causual and formal look (in the office), Jarman shoes are pretty good. They are made with genuine leather. It is very sturdy, yet very comfortable. $35
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/60/53/88/07/0060538807768_300X300.jpg