What is the maximum length of an RCA cable before signal degradation? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What is the maximum length of an RCA cable before signal degradation?

hELWP
06-09-2014, 10:59 PM
I want to know how long the RCA cables (video and audio) can be, before signal starts to degrade. I have a DVD player in one room, and I want to connect it to a TV from another room. Distance is considerable so I want to know limitations
http://dailydigitaldeals.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/11/37/smile.gif

Smokey
06-11-2014, 06:50 PM
I want to know how long the RCA cables (video and audio) can be, before signal starts to degrade. I have a DVD player in one room, and I want to connect it to a TV from another room. Distance is considerable so I want to know limitations.Signal attenuation will depend on quality of cable for that distance. I would recommend RCA cable constructed with RG-59 coax cable (Radioshack). They are small diameter cable, yet very good for longer runs.

Phil the Fluter
06-21-2014, 03:15 PM
I want to know how long the RCA cables (video and audio) can be, before signal starts to degrade.[/IMG]

In theory, it probably degrades with each additional millimeter of length.

In practice, it would have to be a hell of a long cable before the man in the street heard any difference.

JoeE SP9
06-21-2014, 05:04 PM
I run 20' cables from my preamp to my electronic crossover. I've never noticed any degradation in the sound. Of course, I don't use bargain basement cables. I use a mix of DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1 and Air Matrix.

My preamp is positioned directly to my right. The electronic crossover and digital parametric equalizer are on a small stand between my speakers (~10' away from my chair). My subwoofer amps are on separate stands next to each subwoofer and the amps for my main speakers are directly behind them on stands.

I prefer long IC's and short speaker cables.

FLZapped
12-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Video won't be a problem. Audio really depends on the output impedance of your DVD player. The higher the output impedance, the sooner you would see degradation. If you are under 100 feet, I don't think I would worry.