Pissed at KISS!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pissed at KISS!!!

Worf101
06-09-2014, 10:33 AM
For years up years, since the RnR Hall of Fame was opened KISS and it's loyal legions of fans have *****ed and moaned about their not having been inducted. The complained loud often and long about how any band who put the phrase "I Wanna Rock n' Roll All Night" in their biggest song, naturally deserves to be in the hall. I don't mind this, if you love a band root for them support them that is your right. But that wasn't enoug for KISS fans. Every time another class of artists/musicians was inducted WITHOUT their favorite band KISS fans would take to the internet, radio stations and every other medium they could find not just to bemoan KISS' absence from the rolls but to belittle other inductee's whom they felt "undeserving". I experienced this first hand when Laura Nyro was inducted 2 years ago. The backlash from KISS and RUSH fans was brutal, ignorant, sexist and saddening. So... last year RUSH is inducted, this year KISS gets in. Fine, all's right with the world eh?

No all is NOT right with the world. After the longest induction introduction speech ever and all the *****in' and whinin' and bombast of this band of face painting fools DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THE GOOD GRACE TO PLAY!!!! That's right after all the sturm and drang over all these years the members of KISS hate each other so much they would even play at their induction. When they'd all said their respective "thank you's" they turned to one another in confusion and bewilderment as the musical introduction for Cat Stevens picked up. Cat Stevens who DID play and DID speak with class and grace. How fitting that a basic and earnest singer songwriter from England should show this perhaps THE most seli-absorbed band in modern history how to behave was priceless. I hope I never hear from Gene Simmons and Company again. And I hope KISS fans have learned that the only thing worse than not gettin' what you want sometimes... is gettin' it!

Worf

Hyfi
06-09-2014, 10:38 AM
They should have been entered into the Circus Hall of Fame, not the R&R. You can put any words into a song, but if it sucks, it still sucks, IMO.

ForeverAutumn
06-09-2014, 03:43 PM
This is how you give the finger to the RRHoF with class....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z-zV4GaElko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr Peabody
06-09-2014, 05:38 PM
I like some Kiss but wouldn't say I'm a fan. Gene Simmons is the biggest dork ever walked.

I like and own several genres of music, so no prejudice, when your name is "Rock & Roll" hall of fame and 2nd string Disco and Pop stars make it in before some of the biggest acts in Rock & Roll there's a problem. There needs to be a name change to represent a more inclusive exhibit or stick to what you started out to be. That's the rub.

I never have heard of that female artist Worf, I grew up listening to Rock & Roll, she wasn't on the stations. So what's up with her getting in? I don't agree with being disrespectful to her, if some one put her in, so be it. Back in day, from what I'm told, mind you, people heard all genres on a station but since music was labeled and segregated to their own stations/formats, we've come to expect a certain product when we hear the term "Rock & Roll". We didn't hear LL Cool J, Donna Summer, Madonna etc. mixed with our Rush, Van Halen, Judas Priest etc. BAnds like Deep Purple and Yes has still never made it in, Kansas. These guys may not have been on Billboard at each turn but they put butts in arena seats and continue to be played on "Rock" stations. Imagine if you will, Buddy Holly in the Rap Hall of Fame or Metallica in the Country Hall of Fame, it's like that.

3LB
06-09-2014, 08:57 PM
I stopped giving a **** about the RRHOF years ago. So, they throw some of us a bone every now and then; its still just people who suckle at the teet of Jan Wenner celebrating their own tastes in music. Whoopy ****in doo.

MasterCylinder
06-10-2014, 04:52 AM
I've never been a Kiss fan but I sure don't mind if they get deserved recognition.
However, their intra-family squabbles are sophomoric and tiresome.
3LB has a point about the RRHOF..............

Worf101
06-10-2014, 05:23 AM
I like some Kiss but wouldn't say I'm a fan. Gene Simmons is the biggest dork ever walked.

I like and own several genres of music, so no prejudice, when your name is "Rock & Roll" hall of fame and 2nd string Disco and Pop stars make it in before some of the biggest acts in Rock & Roll there's a problem. There needs to be a name change to represent a more inclusive exhibit or stick to what you started out to be. That's the rub.

I never have heard of that female artist Worf, I grew up listening to Rock & Roll, she wasn't on the stations. So what's up with her getting in? I don't agree with being disrespectful to her, if some one put her in, so be it. Back in day, from what I'm told, mind you, people heard all genres on a station but since music was labeled and segregated to their own stations/formats, we've come to expect a certain product when we hear the term "Rock & Roll". We didn't hear LL Cool J, Donna Summer, Madonna etc. mixed with our Rush, Van Halen, Judas Priest etc. BAnds like Deep Purple and Yes has still never made it in, Kansas. These guys may not have been on Billboard at each turn but they put butts in arena seats and continue to be played on "Rock" stations. Imagine if you will, Buddy Holly in the Rap Hall of Fame or Metallica in the Country Hall of Fame, it's like that.

No problem man... I'm used to having people say "Laura who?" Laura Nyro was a singer songwriter from from 60's. At 16 she released her first album on "Verve" records, Verve was a Jazz lable. They didn't know what to do with her so she went to Columbia. She was a GREAT singer song writer. She was Carol King BEFORE Carol King. Here's a list off the top of my head of songs she wrote that other's had hits with.

"Wedding Bell Blues" - 5th Dimension
"Sweet Blindness" - 5th Dimension
"Stoned Soul Picnic" - 5th Dimension
"Stoney End" - Barbara Striesand
"And When I Die" - Blood Sweat and Tears
"Eli's Coming" - 3 Dog Night

I don't know how that list stacks up against "I Wanna Rock n' Roll etc..." but it's pretty damn impressive to me.

Worf

Mr Peabody
06-10-2014, 03:13 PM
llllll

No problem man... I'm used to having people say "Laura who?" Laura Nyro was a singer songwriter from from 60's. At 16 she released her first album on "Verve" records, Verve was a Jazz lable. They didn't know what to do with her so she went to Columbia. She was a GREAT singer song writer. She was Carol King BEFORE Carol King. Here's a list off the top of my head of songs she wrote that other's had hits with.

"Wedding Bell Blues" - 5th Dimension
"Sweet Blindness" - 5th Dimension
"Stoned Soul Picnic" - 5th Dimension
"Stoney End" - Barbara Striesand
Eli's Coming" - 3 Dog Night

I'll have to check her out. Hopefully they produced her material well.

I don't know how that list stacks up against "I Wanna Rock n' Roll etc..." but it's pretty damn impressive to me.

Worf

3LB
06-15-2014, 02:32 PM
I'm actually shocked it took KISS so long to get into Wenner's mutual appreciation society. They're the very type of overtly simplistic, style-over-substance act that Rolling Stone Magazine seemed to champion for years. Someone musta pissed off Wenner & Co a long time ago.

3LB
06-15-2014, 02:34 PM

did not know that - great song

Worf101
06-19-2014, 09:49 AM
did not know that - great song

She was about 17 when she wrote these lines.

"All I ask of living is to have no chains on me...

And all I ask of dying is to go naturally...."

When I was 17 I could barely string together a sentence much less write something that sharp.

Worf