Magico S3........Anybody Heard It Yet? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Magico S3........Anybody Heard It Yet?

Jack in Wilmington
06-06-2014, 04:40 AM
I've been invited to listen to Magico's new S3 speaker at one of our local HiFi shops. They are having a demo and Alon Wolf from Magico will be there to oversee the demo. Bob Harley from Absolute Sound will also be there. I've never heard Magico speakers and though they are way out of my price range ($22,500), I thought it might be fun to attend. Do you bring your own music to these events or do you let the demonstrator pick the material?

harley .guy07
06-06-2014, 07:01 AM
I wish I could be there, I've always wonders what Magico's sound like. I really like how the use their own in house drivers and built their own aluminum cabinets. I've heard from people they are built like a tank. They are way out of my price class too but I would still love to hear them. I wonder what electronics they will run to them, I've heard they like power.

Hyfi
06-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Plenty of Magico talk as AS.

Take some real music with you just in case they try to demo with vocals. Too easy. Have fun Jack.

I am going to setup a demo of Harbeth 30.1s (hopefully) while on vacation in a few weeks at a oddball shop in Lakewood NJ, High Strung Audio. Looking at coupling something like these with a Leben CS600 or similar integrated for my future downsize system.

fendaaudio
07-03-2014, 02:19 AM
heard it it sounds really awesome but it requires a better sound quality track to listen on it anyway sounds awesome....:0:

Mr Peabody
07-03-2014, 08:14 PM
I don't know much about them except a couple reports of blowing at shows. The model you mention is about the same price as a set of Salons which is the best speaker I've heard to date around that price. I'm not sure what C4's sell for but those side by side shoot out would be good.

frenchmon
07-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Jack...you posted that a month ago. Did you go? Never heard them in person, but have listened to them many times on avSHOW REPORTS. They sound nice and airy for what I can tell.

JohnMichael
07-07-2014, 12:36 PM
I would love to hear any Magico speakers.

Jack in Wilmington
07-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Jack...you posted that a month ago. Did you go? Never heard them in person, but have listened to them many times on avSHOW REPORTS. They sound nice and airy for what I can tell.

It turned out I was on vacation when the demo went down, so I had to set up my own demo which happened today. Luckily my friend that works at the HiFi shop was working today and he let me "play with the gear" so to speak. They had a full Classe front end powered by their CA-M600 mono blocks. I brought some vinyl as I hoped they would have a turntable set up and they did. This was my first listen to Magico and they did not disappoint. Bass was powerful but controlled and mids were almost mesmerizing. I had my laptop with me and luckily they had one of the new PS Audio dacs for me to plug my laptop into. I had just downloaded Led Zeppelin II so we listened to a couple of tracks and it sounded better than I had ever heard it before. JPJ bass lines were crisp and not buried so far back in the sound stage. I really enjoyed my two hours with the S3's, it's made me want to hear some of their other speakers.