My KEF C30 has arrived but.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My KEF C30 has arrived but....

chris9
06-04-2014, 06:17 AM
I ordered a pair of KEF C30 weeks ago and they arrived today. Yet, one of them sounds great and normal whereas the other comes with paint chipping off from the lower edge of the dish. It can only produce half of the volume of the other one. Worse still, while music is playing, that speaker produces rustling sound, which is most evident when the volume is on low level. I contacted the seller and he said he'd checked it thoroughly before sending them out so may be it's damaged on shipping? But it doesn't look like it. What do you think?

Could someone HELP ME! PLEASE!!! What can I do now? Can I buy some kits and fix it myself?

I am living in Asia, not the US by the way.

I've uploaded some pictures so you can tell what's wrong.
chris983's Recent Uploads | Photobucket (http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/chris983/library/?view=recent)

Many thanks
Chris

Mr Peabody
06-04-2014, 03:12 PM
If you bought from Ebay or some other site with protection, I'd return them. I personally wouldn't try to repair something that wasn't supposed to be broke in the first place. Feel your pain, I hope it works out.

chris9
06-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Thank you for suggestion Mr Peabody.

Does anyone have any suggestion regarding how to fix this speaker?

Thanks

Mr Peabody
06-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Are there any Kef dealers where you are at? If there were you could have it troubleshoot. If not, you may have to do it, like try switching the drivers from one cabinet to the other to see if it is just the driver. If it was you could order a new one from Kef. If the crossover is damaged then a lot depends on how handy you are with a solder gun.

chris9
06-21-2014, 12:36 AM
Hi Mr Peabody,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have tried to swap the woofers and found out it is the damaged woofer that causes the problem. I think I need a replacement woofer as the spider damage cannot be fixed.

Chris

Mr Peabody
06-21-2014, 05:06 AM
It's a shame it's damaged. Best thing would be to contact Kef for an exact replacement and also ask if the replacement is identical or if you should replace both woofers at the same time.

chris9
06-21-2014, 05:58 AM
I couldn't find any woofers specifically for C30 yet I found there are some places online that they sell woofers for KEF C40 speakers. I checked out the KEF C series leaflet and found that C30 and C40 speakers both use the same B200 drive units with the same impedence of 8ohms yet their sensitivity is slightly different, with one being 90db and the other being 91db.

KEF C series leaflet: En savoir plus sur KEF - C10, C20, C30, C40, C40D, C42, C60, C80 - KEF France (http://www.kef.com/html/fr/explore/about_kef/museum/1980s/C10_C20_C30_C40_C40D_C42_/index.html)

Would the C40 woofer fit my C30 speakers?

Many thanks
Chris

Mr Peabody
06-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Both are 200mm, same series and brand, so I would think so. If you are going to use the C40 driver I'd definitely replace both so your speakers will have uniform sound. Also, keep in mind the new drivers will require some break in time to sound the way they should.

chris9
06-22-2014, 06:05 AM
So, if I am fortunate enough to find a C30 woofer later on, do you think I will have to get it in a pair so the speakers will have a uniform sound?

Mr Peabody
06-22-2014, 11:51 AM
I don't know that much about Kef to say how long that model lasted or if any revisions. If you found a C30 woofer it certainly wouldn't be as critical to buy two as if you bought a C40.