Photos from Philly [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Photos from Philly

dean_martin
06-02-2014, 03:06 PM
The wife and I are not long returned from Philadelphia to attend one of our son's law school graduation. Oh, what a happy day! I've been to Philly twice and both times I enjoyed my visit. Here are some photos taken with my crappy phone while out and about.

JohnMichael
06-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Congratulations to your son. Thanks for sharing the photo's. I spent a week there and really enjoyed the city. Having lunch where our founding fathers would meet was pretty awesome. Loved the Art Museum and the Sunday brunch. We stayed in downtown and near City Hall. Spent time visiting other historic sites and neighborhoods. Thanks for the memories.

dean_martin
06-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Thanks, JM. I took a few photos at the Art Museum.

ForeverAutumn
06-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Did you have Gelato at Capogiro's? National Geographic rates this local Philly business as the best gelato in the world. And although I haven't had the pleasure of gelato all over the world, we made a point of going here when we were in Philly a couple of years ago and it was definately the best Gelato that I've ever had...and I had the non-dairy version, which was so damn creamy I would have put money on it being a dairy product. Seriously, if you ever go back you have to try it.

Top 10 Places to Eat Ice Cream -- National Geographic (http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/top-10/ice-cream-parlors/)

Congrats to your son on his graduation. :)

dean_martin
06-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Did you have Gelato at Capogiro's? National Geographic rates this local Philly business as the best gelato in the world. And although I haven't had the pleasure of gelato all over the world, we made a point of going here when we were in Philly a couple of years ago and it was definately the best Gelato that I've ever had...and I had the non-dairy version, which was so damn creamy I would have put money on it being a dairy product. Seriously, if you ever go back you have to try it.

Top 10 Places to Eat Ice Cream -- National Geographic (http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/top-10/ice-cream-parlors/)

Congrats to your son on his graduation. :)
Thanks for the congrats, FA and thank you for the gelato tip. I'll add that to my list of reasons to go back. My recent travel goal is to see as many different places as I can before returning to a place I've already been, but I have alot left to see and do in Philly. I'm burned out on NYC, Atlanta, Orlando and San Antonio.
I need to get to the west coast soon. I can't die never having seen the Pacific. Then, I want to take my wife overseas. I've been out of the US and our boys have, but she hasn't. I need to restore equilibrium in the family by taking her to Europe.

bfalls
06-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Went to Philly for an EMT convention several years ago. It was a very beautifully historic and interesting. Did you happen to check out the Philly cheese steak? "Wit, or Wit out?"

dean_martin
06-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Went to Philly for an EMT convention several years ago. It was a very beautifully historic and interesting. Did you happen to check out the Philly cheese steak? "Wit, or Wit out?"

My only regret is that I've been twice and no cheesesteak yet. Pat's and Geno's were on the agenda both times but got bumped because something else came up.

ForeverAutumn
06-04-2014, 07:14 PM
You prompted me to go through my Philly photos from our trip in 2012. Of course, being a huge Yes fan, I couldn't resist taking a photo of this Tempus Fugit sign. :)

Hyfi
06-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Funny how those of us that grew up in or live near Philly take it all for granted and find the city dirty and unfriendly. There are good Museums, Bars, and recently many world class Food places. I rarely go into the city much anymore if it can be helped. It is one of the only places my Permit to Carry comes in useful :)

dean_martin
06-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Funny how those of us that grew up in or live near Philly take it all for granted and find the city dirty and unfriendly. There are good Museums, Bars, and recently many world class Food places. I rarely go into the city much anymore if it can be helped. It is one of the only places my Permit to Carry comes in useful :)
That's an interesting perspective. My compliments to your region's treatment of visitors. But, a big part of the charm to me is seeing and doing things I can't see and do at home which inludes the great food you mentioned. And...the Chinese Freemasons were staying at our hotel. We caught up with their parade in Chinatown. That sh*t don't happen every day in South Alabama.

Hyfi
06-05-2014, 03:15 PM
That's an interesting perspective. My compliments to your region's treatment of visitors. But, a big part of the charm to me is seeing and doing things I can't see and do at home which inludes the great food you mentioned. And...the Chinese Freemasons were staying at our hotel. We caught up with their parade in Chinatown. That sh*t don't happen every day in South Alabama.

Come at New Years for the Mummers Parade :)

ForeverAutumn
06-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Having grown up in Toronto and being used to a big city and all its amenities, I have to admit that I didn't think much of what little I saw of downtown Philly. It did seem kind of dirty and worn down. I really enjoyed the historical section, and I totally fell in love with the farmers market. We have a Farmer's Market here in downtown Toronto that National Geographic named the best Market in the world in that same kind of top-ten list that they listed Capogiro's in. They hit the nail on the head with Capogiro's, but I'd take the Philly market over our St. Lawrence market any day.

But to be fair, we didn't see all that much of Philly. Although my good friend Swish did show us around some of the local bars. :) This photo is from a very interesting spot called the Llama Tooth.

bfalls
06-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Toronto is an awesome city. So much going on. Saw the Blue Man Group there a while back while performing an installation at Cinram and Digital Moon. The people are a lot of fun, without being obnoxious.