One Sub or Two? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : One Sub or Two?

gypsyhick
04-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Howdy,

I am researching Sub-woofers to compliment my Ed Frias DIY speakers. I'd like everyones opinion on using one sub or two.

When using one sub, do you greatly sacrifice the stereo image, or is the sacrifice minimal to the pleasure of having more low end.

Or, is the stereo image enhanced so well by having two subs that it is just wise to save the money and buy two subs at the same time?

Also....When using only one sub, how do you correctly sum the 2 stereo channels into one signal for the one speaker?

Thanks,

GH

Jimmy C
04-25-2004, 12:18 PM
...it's the concensus that two subs are indeed better, but mostly because you will get a smoother LF response. Imaging will not suffer at all using only one sub.

I don't have any major problems (or at least I don't think I do!) using my single Strata III, and the thought of spending another grand to get what might be a slightly smoother sound isn't all that appealing to me at the moment :^)

As far as connections go, mine is hooked-up at the amp's binding posts... R + and -, and L +. I'm sure whatever sub you do will have instructions.

Twin subs might be better yet with imaging, but I'm quite happy - as a matter of fact, my sub might be the most dramatic improvement to my stereo (after the main speakers, and on most software).