You know what I miss? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : You know what I miss?

Finch Platte
05-24-2014, 03:45 PM
All those stereo shop ads in the papers.

Sun Stereo, Pacific Stereo, The Good Guys, etc.

We'd get the Sunday paper with the ad supplements, and I'd pore over those things, dreaming of the new, b!tchin' sound system I was gonna buy next.

Nowadays, it's just a sh!t-sounding little box with some white headphones. No romance, no imagination, no extended warranty, no EZ payment plan, with 48 months to pay! No Discwasher + fluid, no anti-stat record cloth or anti-stat record sleeves.

Bleagh. Kill me now.

noddin0ff
05-25-2014, 05:26 AM
amen.

I like little boxes too, but amen on the missing stuff of dreams.

Smokey
05-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Sears and Radioshacks used to have good selection of audio components and always looked forward for their flyers in sunday papers. Once ia while, Sears used to have killer deals :)

jonnyhambone
05-25-2014, 06:56 PM
What's a 'Sunday Paper'?

Finch Platte
05-26-2014, 01:14 AM
What's a 'Sunday Paper'?

It's a Joe Jackson song.

MasterCylinder
05-28-2014, 06:18 AM
Amen to that. I used to go to the stereo shop in North Dallas on Saturday just to look and marvel at the big units I couldn't afford. Then one day in the early 70s I bought a killer quadraphonic Sansui and a great set of headphones. Spending $120 on a set of headphones in the early 70s was a million dollar investment.
My daughter and her ilk don't have two seconds of appreciation for good audio.........the best they hear comes out of an iphone.