Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse

blackraven
05-24-2014, 03:29 PM
A friend of mine brought over his Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse DAC for me to hear in my system as he knows I am looking to upgrade from my AVA DAC.

6moons audio reviews: Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDse (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wyred9/1.html)

My Jaw dropped when I heard how good it sounded. We put on some classical music and I thought the percussion instruments were going to blow my windows out. It is extremely dynamic and musical DAC. It has excellent sound stage and front to back depth, almost holographic.
It definitely showed me that my DAC is the weak link in my system.
For $2500, it may be just the ticket. I was considering a Bel Canto 3.5 or a PS Audio.

Interestingly, I breathed new life into my AVA DAC by replacing the Burr Brown 0627 op amps with a new op amp from Sparko Labs which is more musical with much greater detail and resolution as well as more of a 3D sound.

frenchmon
05-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Oh yeah,,,I know about the W4S DAC, Jaxwired over at computeraudio and the audiogon forum has one....its an outstanding DAC. But you knows even cooler? It uses the Saber DAC in it. Thats whats up!

Feanor
05-25-2014, 03:49 AM
A friend of mine brought over his Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse DAC for me to hear in my system as he knows I am looking to upgrade from my AVA DAC.

6moons audio reviews: Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDse (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wyred9/1.html)

My Jaw dropped when I heard how good it sounded. We put on some classical music and I thought the percussion instruments were going to blow my windows out. It is extremely dynamic and musical DAC. It has excellent sound stage and front to back depth, almost holographic.
It definitely showed me that my DAC is the weak link in my system.
For $2500, it may be just the ticket. I was considering a Bel Canto 3.5 or a PS Audio.

Interestingly, I breathed new life into my AVA DAC by replacing the Burr Brown 0627 op amps with a new op amp from Sparko Labs which is more musical with much greater detail and resolution as well as more of a 3D sound.
That W4S looks like a remarkable DAC and a relative bargain compared with some of the stuff that's out there -- it's beyond my resources unfortunately.

DSD is the up & coming thing apparently, but I'm not rushing into it. I doubt I could hear the difference from hi-rez PCM and I'll only upgrade if & when the DSD format become prevalent.

Blackraven, isn't your AVA DAC tube, or am I misremembering? If tube, do you know how in its circuit opamps are used? My own experience is similar with the 627 opamp which is that it's often excessively smooth sounding and lacks a bit of air.

blackraven
05-25-2014, 07:05 AM
That W4S looks like a remarkable DAC and a relative bargain compared with some of the stuff that's out there -- it's beyond my resources unfortunately.

DSD is the up & coming thing apparently, but I'm not rushing into it. I doubt I could hear the difference from hi-rez PCM and I'll only upgrade if & when the DSD format become prevalent.

Blackraven, isn't your AVA DAC tube, or am I misremembering? If tube, do you know how in its circuit opamps are used? My own experience is similar with the 627 opamp which is that it's often excessively smooth sounding and lacks a bit of air.

Feanor, all I know about my AVA DAC is that it is a hybrid and not fully tube. The Sparko OA's are remarkably 3D and holographic. I may buy a dual for my son's Tube Magic DAC/Pre.

By the way. Wyred 4 sound makes 2 cheaper vesions of the DAC starting at $1500 I believe.