Receiver questions which one is better? Computer audio also [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver questions which one is better? Computer audio also

badman5
05-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Not sure where to post this as it could be home theater, computer audio or even amp. Move as needed if needed.

I have a Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Receiver RX-V670
(this one? PDF BTW (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww2.yamaha.co.jp%2Fmanual%2Fpdf% 2Fav%2Fenglish%2Fre%2FRX-V670.pdf&ei=00x4U4P7GNKEqgbLuYHQBQ&usg=AFQjCNEeztdU4ZxB56e90WZQaW5UL3HTeQ&bvm=bv.66917471,d.b2k))
and an
Onkyo AV Reciver TX-SR601
(i think its this one) (http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-SR601&class=Receiver)

Which receiver is better and why?
Most importantly which one will provide better sound quality to my infinity speakers?

I will be using them as a surround sound for music, gaming and movies from my computer. I am currently using the Yamaha with the green audio out only to connected to the receiver. Would the Onkyo provide better quality as i will be bale to use an optical S/PDIF? Would the optical S/PDIF allow me to use full 7.1 because the Yamaha doesn't because of the way its connected (i think so)?

Thank you and please help me audiophiles bc i'm not very familiar with the hardware.

blackraven
05-18-2014, 04:02 AM
It's probably a toss up. Use what ever sounds better to you. Onkyo's though, typically have high current power supplies.

Mr Peabody
05-18-2014, 07:05 PM
If using for gaming and movies the Onkyo would be better suited, although it's pretty outdated on technology compared to today's. Still it would provide the video switching and surround sound. I personally like the sound of Onkyo and Infinity together.As you mentioned the digital inputs would work to plug in DVD, Blu-ray, cable/satelite receiver, or even CD player. With CD you should try both the digital and analog to see which sounds better.

badman5
05-18-2014, 07:39 PM
I thought that no matter what digital was always better? Both are outdated receivers and i wont need the hdmi or any video inputs, i will only be using it for sound.

Mr Peabody
05-19-2014, 04:51 AM
If you only have two speakers then you could use either receiver. In my opinion the Onkyo will have a better bass response where the Yamaha will a more natural midrange, I'd lean toward the Onkyo if gaming and movies is your emphasis. If you want surround sound then the Onkyo is your only choice. You have to use the digital input in order for the audio surround signal from video sources to be decoded into surround sound.

When I was talking about CD players, both the CD player itself and the receiver has a DAC (digital to analog converter), when using an analog output (red/white) the digital is converted in the CD player, when using a digital connection the conversion happens in the receiver. So which sounds better depends on which has the better quality DAC and other circuitry.

3db
05-24-2014, 11:20 AM
If you only have two speakers then you could use either receiver. In my opinion the Onkyo will have a better bass response where the Yamaha will a more natural midrange, I'd lean toward the Onkyo if gaming and movies is your emphasis. If you want surround sound then the Onkyo is your only choice. You have to use the digital input in order for the audio surround signal from video sources to be decoded into surround sound.

When I was talking about CD players, both the CD player itself and the receiver has a DAC (digital to analog converter), when using an analog output (red/white) the digital is converted in the CD player, when using a digital connection the conversion happens in the receiver. So which sounds better depends on which has the better quality DAC and other circuitry.

Yamaha AVRs perform extremely well in 2 channel power tests compared to ACD tests for the simple reason that Yamaha's protection circuitry is overly aggressive and prematurely limits the power output. In 2 channel tests, the protection circuit is not employed.

Mr Peabody
05-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Yamaha AVRs perform extremely well in 2 channel power tests compared to ACD tests for the simple reason that Yamaha's protection circuitry is overly aggressive and prematurely limits the power output. In 2 channel tests, the protection circuit is not employed.

In the OP's, OP, he stated the Yamaha is a stereo receiver where the Onkyo is an older HT receiver, that's why my comments read as they do.

bfalls
05-25-2014, 12:33 AM
I thought discrete 7.1 was only available via HDMI v1.1 - v1.4 and not via SPD/IF. There may be an option for 7.1, but the additional channels would be derived, similar to how DPL is from a stereo signal.