Three New Classical Selections [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Three New Classical Selections

MasterCylinder
05-16-2014, 05:03 AM
From the dozens of choices for the Beethoven classics, I just got the 5th & 6th Symphonies from Karajan on Deutsche Grammophon.........no more information required.
For the 9th Symphony I found John Eliot Gardiner featuring soprano Luba Organasova and the Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique -- this one has a 5-star rating.
And finally, Jorge Frederico Osorio conducting the Asturias Symphony Orchestra for Brahams Piano Concerto # 2 and Brahams Piano Sonata # 2.

Currently enjoying all five of these magnificent works on my computer at work.

Feanor
05-16-2014, 08:24 AM
From the dozens of choices for the Beethoven classics, I just got the 5th & 6th Symphonies from Karajan on Deutsche Grammophon.........no more information required.
For the 9th Symphony I found John Eliot Gardiner featuring soprano Luba Organasova and the Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique -- this one has a 5-star rating.
And finally, Jorge Frederico Osorio conducting the Asturias Symphony Orchestra for Brahams Piano Concerto # 2 and Brahams Piano Sonata # 2.

Thank you for sharing your insights, MC.

I have several versions of the Beethoven symphonies, though as it happens neither the 5th or 6th by Karajan -- note that Kavajan recording the complete Beethoven symphonies on three separate occasions over the years.

To single out the 5th, I have two versions I like in particular: (1) Karlos Kleiber / Vienna Philharmonic, (2) Roger Norrington / London Classic Players. They are VERY different interpretations but it's possible to like both.

I agree that John Eliot Gardner's 9th is great.

I've never heard the Osorio version of the Brahms Piano Concertos, though I have a couple of other versions. I like the Ax/Levine/Chicago version of the No. 1 in particular.

MasterCylinder
05-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Thank you.
I like listening to the classics on the computer at work.
I am glad to add these three to the selections.
I have been listening over and over to a 10-CD box set of the Rachmaninov Piano Music (Idel Biret) and also to a Boris Berezovsky playing of Liszt, including his Piano Concertos 1 & 2, and also a fabulous reading of The Totentanz.

Finch Platte
05-16-2014, 04:08 PM

English, please. ;)