onkyo tx-sr602 decoder issue? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : onkyo tx-sr602 decoder issue?

brichr
05-08-2014, 07:19 PM
OK, so this unit, tx-sr602 is old but I'm only now going to try to make a ht setup. In doing so I'm now using the optical inputs from a moto cable box and sony dvd player. 2 funny things now happen. Using video 1 for the cable the rcvr doesn't recognize any Dolby or DTS and from the disc player I only get sound from CD's and not DVD's. I've been through the setup menus and the manual some 16x's and can't wrap my brain around this one. Only thoughts are that the decoder is too old for what's being thrown around on these high band width outputs. Anybody else seen anything like this.

brichr
05-24-2014, 05:35 PM
For all who have looked at this and wondered if I had looked at the old DVD player manual the answer is no. Never had one since I got the unit open-box at Best Buy. So I finally looked for it on the Sony site and yup, it's not the receiver. Had to choose to use the optical out. So problem solved, thanks for looking anyway.

bfalls
05-25-2014, 12:53 AM
Have you tried changing from bitstream to LPCM, or vice versa? I believe LPCM is decoded at the source, where bitstream is decoded at the receiver.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Have you tried changing from bitstream to LPCM, or vice versa? I believe LPCM is decoded at the source, where bitstream is decoded at the receiver.

Bitstream can be decoded from either the player or receiver. Almost all soundtracks are encoded into bitstream on the software, but the player can transcode from a bitstream(lossy or lossless) DTS or Dolby stream, to a LPCM stream.