Looking at LCD's in Wally World [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking at LCD's in Wally World

Worf101
05-05-2014, 10:23 AM
We've a nice neighbor lady in her mid-70's whos 19-inch CRT finally bit the big one soo.... Make a long story short I was "Volunteered" to help her tip toe into the current century. I trundled her off in my Tribeca and we went to Wally World to look at LCD's, TV's, Plasma's etc...

She was duly impressed at how thin things were now and that you didn't need a pair of "vitamin fed" furniture movers to move a good sized TV anymore. After several attempts she appeared to get that at a distance of 15 feet from the screen she needed s TV a little bigger than her old 19-incher....

In the end she got a nice 42-inch Vizio. It took me all of 5 minutes to get the pedestal on and everything activated. It was while looking at her screen that I noticed how much better her $500 Vizio looked than my $2.500 8 year old. Talk about "display envy"!!!!! I can do my own research but I'd like to find out from the faithful what's the current screen rage?

Worf

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Oh Worf, screen envy over a Vizio? LOLOLOL. No, I get it when you are comparing 8 year old technology to the current stuff.

The current rage now is getting your hands on the VT series of Panasonic's plasma panel(to be discontinued, but the best performers EVER), and the Samsung top of the line plasma's and LCD's. The Panasonics are an excellent value(if you have the dead Presidents/scratch/coins), and they do both 2D and 3D at an extremely high performance level. Same with the Samsung upper level offerings.

When it comes to performance versus value, these two manufacturers literally suck the air out of the room.

Mr Peabody
05-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Worf, I wish you could have talked her into another brand. My mom offloaded her RPTV Mitsubishi which I would have had her keep if she wasn't in an apartment, that thing was reliable, any way, she shops Wally World and ended up with a Vizio, against my advice I might add, the thing lasted about one year give or take, I think it was still under warranty but she didn't want to hassle with it and used it as an excuse to buy a new TV to fit inside some stand she bought. All this and of course every time I talk to her I hear she don't have any money, LOL. So she goes back to Wally World and based on another lady's advice in the building carries out an Element, in which I've never heard of but the lady has one and "it has been working great". I hope for her sake it will :).

I thought LED was the hot thing to have until OLED drops in price. Did you see Sony is selling off the computer wing of the company to take over their own TV's again? For me Vizio, Sony & Toshiba are now at the bottom of my list based on personal and close experiences.

The industry also needs to come out with a true "smart" TV, one tech challenged sweet elderly women can operate with out calling their son every other day with simple issues like "what input is it on", :) I have to give some credit though, the gal is using Roku.

Worf101
05-05-2014, 06:32 PM
I know TT... I know... sad ain't it? But hey that Samsung was the shiznit back in the day... not any more though...

Mr. Peabody... Sigh.... sad ain't it? But I set the thing up so she can operate it with her cable remote which is all she knows how to navigate. Hell I asked for "voice operated tech" right here on this forum 2 years ago!!!!! Arrrrgh.

Worf

ForeverAutumn
05-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Walley World?

TheHills44060
05-05-2014, 06:50 PM
The E series Vizio should be a good match for her. Heck I have friends and family with Vizio plasmas and LEDs since 2008 and they are still going strong despite being brutalized with the brightness cranked to the hilt and LED backlights maxed out. I treated my Panasonic with kid gloves and the damn A-board blew out in less than 3 months so I think it's just a luck of the draw. Every brand has there lemons.

Hyfi
05-06-2014, 03:36 AM
My first 42" Sony XBR1 is still working fine as is my 32" XBR4, but the newer Samsung 32" Smart has an even better pic.

Good to hear that Sony will concentrate on their TVs again because they went downhill over the last several years. A good friend put a big one in his home in Vermont and you can barely play any movie files on it. It wants 1 type and specific codec to be able to play a streamed movie larger than 1/3 of it's screen size. So I had to full screen Windows Media Player from my Laptop to watch movies. I called and talked to a tech who pretty much said that Sony's quality and service was far from what it used to be.

recoveryone
05-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Hey P enjoy those calls, there will be a day when you wish she could call. I enjoy my parents more today than ever before (both in their 80's) and being the only living son they have I know I have to carry a lot of weight on my shoulders.

With me when my parents ask for my advice on Tv's, Computers, cell phones and such stuff I just look at it as it will be mine one day. :)

RoyY51
05-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Walley World?

FA: I think that he is referring to WalMart...where 30% of their employees have to enroll in government assistance programs, due to the low wages they are paid. Did I mention that 4 of the top 10 richest Americans are members of the Walton (Walmart) family?

bfalls
05-25-2014, 12:45 AM
My first 42" Sony XBR1 is still working fine as is my 32" XBR4, but the newer Samsung 32" Smart has an even better pic.

Good to hear that Sony will concentrate on their TVs again because they went downhill over the last several years. A good friend put a big one in his home in Vermont and you can barely play any movie files on it. It wants 1 type and specific codec to be able to play a streamed movie larger than 1/3 of it's screen size. So I had to full screen Windows Media Player from my Laptop to watch movies. I called and talked to a tech who pretty much said that Sony's quality and service was far from what it used to be.

I know what you mean. I have a 52" XBR5 and a 46" XBR6. I've wanted to update to a newer version for some time for the increased scan rate and cooler operation (3D as well, but not a big deal), but can't justify replacing hardware which is working beautifully.

I have my own Sencore 403P 1080P signal generator, so keep it calibrated to ISF specs, so the PQ is not an issue. Darn things just won't break.