Stereo Receiver?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Receiver??

Jaro R.
04-25-2004, 07:19 AM
Hi! I'm planning to buy a stereo receiver. I don't have experience. And here is what I've foud :

Onkyo TX-8211 - $161.99 2x50W

Onkyo TX-8511 - $242.99 2x100W

Denon DRA-295 - $249.99 2x50W

Denon DRA-395 - $349.99 2x80W

Marantz SR-4320 - $400 2x80W

Denon DRA-685 - $499.99 2x100W

How to choose the right receiver? Onkyo TX-8511 has a good price, but it looks cheap? Denon DRA-685 and Marantz SR-4320 are more expesive, but they look better. Do you think there is big difference? If I'll buy cheaper receiver I can buy better speakers. I'm plannig to spend about 700-900$ for receiver and bookself speakers. I'll like to buy Onkyo TX-851 because of good price, but I'm afraid that is not so good than denon or marantz. Tell me if you have any experiece with any of those receivers. Thanks

Jaro Rohal from Slovakia

jaroslavrohal@usa.com

kexodusc
04-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Hi, there are many other brands that make excellent receivers in your price range. Hopefully you can get to see some before you must buy your receiver.

All of these receivers you're looking at are good quality products. Don't worry, Onkyo is not made cheap, usually they're very reliable!!! 50 watts can go very loud, but depending on which speakers you end up with, and how big your room is, you may want a bit more power. I have an older Adcom amplifier that only has 2 X 60W and I never use all that power.

Think of it this way, you can get better speakers if you buy the cheaper receiver, and if you are not happy with Onkyo, you should be able to sell it later on and get most of your money back. I would go with the Onkyo TX-8511. It should have enough power for you at 2x100W, and it's cheaper than the others.

Your choice of speakers will make a bigger difference in sound quality than the choice of receivers, get the best speakers you can after you buy a very good, basic receiver.

Have you ever thought of buying a USED receiver or integrated stereo amplifier? You might get a more performance for your money. Good luck.