Netflix Gems [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Gems

Kam
04-18-2014, 06:10 AM
Do you find yourself scrolling through pages of movies on Netflix trying to find something interesting? Me too.

I'll post some of my favorite "finds" on Netflix and everyone please add to the list! These aren't the mainstream regulars but the ones you stumbled across and really caught your fancy. So if it got wide theatrical release, don't post about it.

Resolution - horror/thriller/suspense. A guy goes to help his friend beat drug addiction through a forced intervention at his 'crack cabin' and weird stuff starts to happen. Fantastic characters and a great redux to the 'cabin in the woods' genre.

The Silence - foreign thriller about a pair of killings separated by 20 years and the investigation that goes into linking them.

The Innkeepers - a good 'ol fashioned ghost story in the last week of an Inn before it closes.

Kill List - Do NOT read anything about this. Just stick it through the first half, it is a little slow. But just do it.

Revenge Genre Films (proceed with caution!)
The Man From Nowhere
I Saw the Devil

Headhunters - crazy action/adventure heist movie where all the motivations are very understandable. Characters don't do stupid things "just because".

The Thieves - a super fun heist film in the Ocean's 11 vein.

The Tower - South Korean take on Towering Inferno. Good disaster movie fun.

Sleepless Night - a drug deal gone bad and a bad cop trying to extricate himself from a bad situation. A whole lotta badness ends up being really good.

Tell No One - one of the best keep-you-guessing thrillers. I've watched it again even after knowing what the ending is, and still enjoyed it.

Rubberneck - an indie thriller that is just creepy and weird. it's a slow burn version of fatal attraction without all the melodrama.

Grabbers - fun monster movie. feels like it could almost be an Edgar Wright-Simon Pegg piece.

Shuffle - a sweet sci-fi time travel tale that has some heart. a few flaws, but it's a touching story.

Feanor
04-18-2014, 08:16 AM
Thanks, Kam

I'm always trying to find stuff I might like on Netflix. One problem is that some stuff available state-side isn't available in Canada.

ForeverAutumn
04-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Great idea for a thread!!! Hubby and I prefer to watch things that are a little off the beaten path rather than the big flicks. Although as Feanor mentioned, Netflicks in Canada does not have the same selection as the US.

A couple of gems that we found were,

Never Let Me Go - Children are raised in orphanage type institutions for the sole purpose of being organ donors. Strangely enough, it's a love story. ;) Never Let Me Go (2010) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1334260/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

Queen to Play - A French film starring Kevin Kline who speaks perfect French (who knew?!) about a Chambermaid who decides to learn to play chess with the help of rich ex-pat Kline. Subtitled, but I was impressed with myself at how much of the original dialogue I understood. Queen to Play (2009) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1082009/)

Worf101
04-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Kam the only one on your list I've seen is "Grabbers" which was a good fun ride.

Worf

Kam
04-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Tidal Wave - another South Korean disaster movie that i loved.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-20-2014, 04:06 PM
I must say I am more addicted to Netflix documentaries than I am to their movies. One of my new daily ritual is to wake up at some un-Godly hour of the morning, drink my coffee while watching a documentary(about any and everything) that I found.

Kam
04-21-2014, 10:24 AM
I must say I am more addicted to Netflix documentaries than I am to their movies. One of my new daily ritual is to wake up at some un-Godly hour of the morning, drink my coffee while watching a documentary(about any and everything) that I found.

Blackfish (does what the best docs do best, made me care about something I never knew about.)
Chasing Ice (breathtaking cinematography that sends a scary message)
Room 237 (it's a little slow, pretty much just for Kubrick Shining nerds)
Side by Side (one for film/movie nuts)
The Cutting Edge (about film editing, used to be streaming, hopefully will come back)
This Film Is Not Yet Rated (about the MPAA, used to be streaming too)

Kam
04-30-2014, 02:09 PM
Odd Thomas - streaming on Netflix. I haven't read the novel so I can't compare, but what a fun thriller with solid heart. I certainly got caught up in it. A psychic short order cook in a small California desert town starts to follow a guy he has a strange feeling about and tries to solve a disaster before it happens.

It has a quirky feel that seems like it almost should have been a Wes Anderson-y type of film, even though it is nothing like a Wes Anderson film, the characters and their interactions and inside knowledge of each other feels like it could.