Cable Upgrade [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cable Upgrade

Mr Peabody
04-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Some time back when Clarus was first brought into my area I was lent a set of RCA's to play with, they didn't win me over at that point. My theory is either they needed break in or their design is unique and just didn't blend with what else I had at the time. My first Clarus purchase was the Crimson power cord which was outstanding from the start. I soon added all Crimson power cords but when playing with the cords I noticed just one with the preamp didn't really have a positive effect to my ears but oddly when I added the additional cord to the 512 along with the one to the preamp the system sound took a step up. Fast forward some time and I realize I want to see if I can improve on my Anticables. So I tried the Crimson XLR but I wanted both a run from SACD to preamp and preamp to power amp, I really feel the Clarus works best with itself. To my ears the improvement was dramatic. My dealer I think misunderstood a statement I made and brought in the speaker cables for me, moving my time table up for purchase. So I auditioned them. After about a week of break in I decided they were keepers. Recordings I am familiar with literally did not sound the same. The Clarus loom took my system beyond what I thought was possible. I can't begin to describe the sound or difference, it's just an entirely improved realism, level of detail and resolution. This will set me back for a good while but with this and my recent table I feel my system is now complete.

Some of you are getting equipment that retailed for high dollar and I hope that you continue to experiment with quality cables, it's incredible what the right ones will do.

It is also interesting to me that with the Clarus loom my system seems to be the most neutral it has been, as well as quick and dynamic. It's still engaging to me but in a more exciting emotional way.

When listening to new cables in my system I find my so called reference, or "go to" recordings will show differences but it's when you dig into the catalog for old familiar favorites and you hear them rendered in a new light that's when things hit home.

Any way if you read all this babble I commend you :), or commit you

Mr Peabody
04-15-2014, 05:47 PM
I do have the Crimson RCA's from phono stage to preamp as well. This was an immediate and enjoyable improvement as my turntable showed not only improvement in sound but PRAT, my Scott Hamilton LP began to swing like never before.

blackraven
04-16-2014, 07:27 AM
Glad to hear that they are working out for you Mr. P. I would like to buy some higher end speaker cables but I am saving up for a new DAC and another XLR to go with it.

I would love to hear your system some time if I am ever in your part of the woods.

Jack in Wilmington
04-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Glad to hear that they are working out for you Mr. P. I would like to buy some higher end speaker cables but I am saving up for a new DAC and another XLR to go with it.

I would love to hear your system some time if I am ever in your part of the woods.

Do you have a short list of DAC's? Are you thinking tubed?

blackraven
04-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Do you have a short list of DAC's? Are you thinking tubed?

Jack, I am looking at the Bel Canto 3.5 and 2.5 DAC's. I will only do the 3.5 if I can score a used one. PS audio Perfect Wave MKII is another consideration. If I had the money I would buy the PS audio now as they are closing them out for the new model.

One of the guys on AS has the Bel Canto with Pass gear. I have PM'd him and his description is what I am looking for.

I would like to have a tube DAC but the good ones are way too expensive.

Bel Canto e.One DAC3.5VB D/A converter | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/content/bel-canto-eone-dac35vb-da-converter)

Here is the 2.5-

ReMusic - Article (http://www.remusic.it/EN/Bel-Canto-DAC25-processor-80784100)

blackraven
04-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Jack, you can add a Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse to the list of DAC's.

JohnMichael
04-16-2014, 04:42 PM
A dealer in New Albany carries the Clarus cables. I heard them while auditioning the Paradigm Studio 20's. Of course I had never heard the speakers before or the Moon integrated amp or the cables so I am unable to comment.

I may visit again and relisten. Being such a solid core guy I think my AQ speaker, IC's and XLR's are great sound and value. Of course if I find something better to serve the music so much the better.

frenchmon
04-29-2014, 06:53 AM
Raven...I've heard all 3 of the Bel-Canto DAC'a. Are you wanting it just for dac, or as a preamp also?

blackraven
04-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Raven...I've heard all 3 of the Bel-Canto DAC'a. Are you wanting it just for dac, or as a preamp also?

For just a DAC. What did you think of the DAC's?