Hang it up, Audio Review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hang it up, Audio Review

Finch Platte
04-14-2014, 05:42 AM
Rave Recordings has the most posts of any of the A/V forums, yet sometimes days go by without a post.

Maybe it's run its course. Shut it down and put your efforts into something worthwhile.

Ta taa.

MasterCylinder
04-15-2014, 04:00 AM
When I arrived here in the late 90s, it was thriving.
It was also formatted in the old chain structure and it was so much easier to deal with and see who, what, where, etc.
It always seemed to me that the change in that structure was the beginning of the end.................but I'm not sure what killed us.
During that time, the most recent technology was the CD -- perhaps the changes in the way music is bought, sold, and traded has helped the kill.

Finch Platte
04-15-2014, 02:29 PM
Part of the problem is if I type too fast, it won't record every keystroke, so I have to type VERRRRRRY SLOWLY.

But really, have you been here lately? Progressive Music Discussion (THE MAIN BOARD) (http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/forumdisplay.php/7-Progressive-Music-Discussion-(THE-MAIN-BOARD))

Hundreds of posts DAILY.

Finch Platte
04-15-2014, 02:42 PM
I tried to edit my post, but it wouldn't let me. F@ck you, AR. And I can type at a normal speed (well, MY normal :^P) in this response, but not the OTHER response??, but I agree with most of what you said, MC. But just wanted to stress that other boards are thriving.

MasterCylinder
04-16-2014, 04:06 AM
I tried to edit my post, but it wouldn't let me. F@ck you, AR. And I can type at a normal speed (well, MY normal :^P) in this response, but not the OTHER response??, but I agree with most of what you said, MC. But just wanted to stress that other boards are thriving.

I'll take a look -- thanks.

Smokey
04-17-2014, 02:44 AM
But really, have you been here lately? Progressive Music Discussion (THE MAIN BOARD) (http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/forumdisplay.php/7-Progressive-Music-Discussion-(THE-MAIN-BOARD))

Hundreds of posts DAILY.

Hundreds!! Somebody hasn't done their "math" homework :ciappa:

Last time I checked, there were only 62 total posts in last 24 hours on that web site. And FYI, AudioReview had total of 27 posts in last 24 hrs. So I wouldn't call AR dead yet.

As you can see, this is not a pity post LOL

3LB
04-17-2014, 06:13 AM
Last time I checked, there were only 62 total posts in last 24 hours on that web site. And FYI, AudioReview had total of 27 posts in last 24 hrs. So I wouldn't call AR dead yet.
That'd be a slow day Smoke. PE is a music board that sort of specializes in progressive rock, err, that is to say Prog Rock, which is a term that describes a certain aesthetic not necessarily progressive (much of the time its regressive). But there are discussions regarding other types of musics. There is a Main board just for on-topic discussions (prog related); an O/T Music & Arts board for non-prog related topics; a board called Way Off-topic which is exactly the way it sounds as well some other minor boards that I don't ever visit.

Are you saying that the number of postings for the whole of AR is only a third of PE, which is a much smaller site compared to AR? (meaning AR is not as specialized and covers a much larger variety of interests). But if you compare just the RaveRecs board to say, PE's O/T Music & Arts board (non-prog related), its no contest. For whatever reason, people don't want to post at RR. I haven't been posting here much lately because its a ghost town. But for crying out loud, it can't always be up to the same 5 or 6 people to try and post topics that will attract a conversation. Theres plenty of lurkers that visit RR. And don't give me that tired old "too cliquish" argument - where's the clique?

Worf101
04-17-2014, 08:39 AM
Well... AR's not "dead" per se but it is on "life support". Sometimes websites are like nightclubs. Hot for a while then people get tired/bored and look for the next big thing. A lot of traffic here was from people getting in the big screen and HT for the first time. The had a lot of basic questions which led to a lot of hits. Also, the site had a LOT of "characters". People whom I might characterize as having "a little knowdlege combined with a LOT of mouth".

These people have been kicked out or moved on or grown up. Add to that there's a LOT more distractions now to be had besides posting on a forum. Between Facebook and Twitter it's a wonder anyone's here at all. But it's not just here... forum's are down all over... just a sign o' da times.

Worf

Smokey
04-17-2014, 01:53 PM
But there are discussions regarding other types of musics. There is a Main board just for on-topic discussions (prog related); an O/T Music & Arts board for non-prog related topics; a board called Way Off-topic which is exactly the way it sounds as well some other minor boards that I don't ever visit.

The number of posts I quoted from that site also include posts from other boards you mentioned too. So its total posts from the whole site. And I compare that number of posts from AR whole site. So its a fair comparison.

For whatever reason, people don't want to post at RR. I haven't been posting here much lately because its a ghost town. But for crying out loud, it can't always be up to the same 5 or 6 people to try and post topics that will attract a conversation.

Well, at least you have to give credit to those 5 or 6 people for posting. That is saying more for some that don't post at all :)

ForeverAutumn
04-17-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm with Finch. I'd be very surprised if PE only had 62 new posts in a day. I spend more time on that site than I do here and it's impossible to keep up. I can miss days here and be caught up in 10 minutes.

Maybe the counter isn't working. There are several features of VB that Progressive Ears has disabled for various reasons.

3LB
04-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Maybe the counter isn't working. There are several features of VB that Progressive Ears has disabled for various reasons.

Yeah, first thing they (at PE) did was disable post counts and rep points... for obvious reasons. They do tend to be a tad strict with regards to what can be posted and where, especially the Main board. The O/T section can get a tad radical, but those get shut down in a hurry if it gets too political. And there doesn't seem to be any real bastards on that site... not that AR has a lot (just one really).

ForeverAutumn
04-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Yeah, first thing they (at PE) did was disable post counts and rep points... for obvious reasons. They do tend to be a tad strict with regards to what can be posted and where, especially the Main board. The O/T section can get a tad radical, but those get shut down in a hurry if it gets too political. And there doesn't seem to be any real bastards on that site... not that AR has a lot (just one really).

They moderate with a heavy hand over there...people who accuse the mods here of being strict should spend some time at PE and see how quickly threads get shut down. Try to complain about it and you risk getting banned.

There are a few bastards that I can name, but I won't. :)

Smokey
04-17-2014, 07:52 PM
I'm with Finch. I'd be very surprised if PE only had 62 new posts in a day. I spend more time on that site than I do here and it's impossible to keep up.I did a manual count of each forum, and posts for last 24 hrs (from now) is about 63 posts :)

recoveryone
04-18-2014, 08:10 AM
IMHO were AR has fallen off in a major way is the reviews. The reviews of products is what brought me to AR back in the 90's then later I joined the forum. People seeking information about something search for reviews not chit chat. The forum is more of a discussion about products and ideas which a person would have had some prior knowledge (sometimes) about the subject matter.

When HDTV was coming aboard there were many questions that needed clarification, just simply on how it works and what was needed to make it work, that's where the forum comes in. But to ask about a certain model, that is where the reviews play its major role in keeping the site alive. When I first came on here several of the mods were actual reviewers of products and now I have no clue if any of them are still around. It would have been nice if the torch would have been passed over to others that had the time. When I browse through the reviews now most of the items are 3-5 years old if not older and considered on the downside of their function/usage in the market.

3LB
04-18-2014, 07:20 PM
They moderate with a heavy hand over there...people who accuse the mods here of being strict should spend some time at PE and see how quickly threads get shut down. Try to complain about it and you risk getting banned.

There are a few bastards that I can name, but I won't. :)heavy handed, yet fairly consistent. Its not like they give one guy free reign and clamp down on everyone else.

3LB
04-18-2014, 07:36 PM
I did a manual count of each forum, and posts for last 24 hrs (from now) is about 63 posts :) thing is, Smokes, AR should smoke a site like PE and instead it suckles at it's hind tit.

Finch Platte
04-20-2014, 04:34 AM
Ok, this is a thread from ProgEars: Ha! Rap coming from car next to mine - Annie Haslam singing! (http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/8679-Ha!-Rap-coming-from-car-next-to-mine-Annie-Haslam-singing)!

It is a topic that would barely get noticed in here, but has many posts over there. It's a thread on rap artists using prog snippets in their 'songs'!