RCA 77-DX , To refurb or not to refurb.... That is the question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RCA 77-DX , To refurb or not to refurb.... That is the question

Ghayes649
04-13-2014, 07:48 AM
Hello everybody.

I've had this old mic (RCA 77-DX)9640 up in the attack for the last 30 years. I'm going to sell it and wanted some advice on if I should clean/refurb before I do. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Jerry

blackraven
04-13-2014, 04:40 PM
I would vote for a refurb but first I would see what it is worth. It may not be worth your time and money to do so if the mike is not worth a lot.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Hello everybody.

I've had this old mic (RCA 77-DX)9640 up in the attack for the last 30 years. I'm going to sell it and wanted some advice on if I should clean/refurb before I do. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Jerry

Jerry,
While back in the day (50's and 60's) this microphone would probably be acceptable for recording(a lot of top named singers and entertainers used it), by todays standards it would be pretty low resolution and highly colored ribbon microphone. The amount of time, energy, and parts to restore it would probably be more money than you could sell it for.