Walmart vs Target store customer service [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Walmart vs Target store customer service

Smokey
04-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Walmart might offer the lowest price, but their customer service vs other retailors really reeks.

Recently Bestbuy had Ben Hur and 10 Commandments bluray combo for $8, but they ran out in store before I could get to them. Knowing that Walmart carry same combo bluray disc in stock ($15), off to Walmart to price match.

The tone of lady at customer service was anything but friendly. She told me not only they will not price match from any web sites (unless you have local sale advertisment flyers), they don't even price match with their own Walmart web site. I told her Bestbuy is a local retailor, but she even refused to look that item up on BB web site.

So just walked out.Target store had same bluray films in stock ($15), so went to Target.

The lady at customer service asked me If I had flyer from Bestbuy for that item, and I told her no. I told her it is on BB web site.H

Here is where good customer service comes. Instead of simply telling me no price macthing, she pulled out her own smartphone and looked up that item on BB web site. Although I had customers behind me in line, she stood there with her phone about 5 minutes untill she found the item on BB web site.

And then she price matched it without any questions. Now that is customer service :)

ForeverAutumn
04-05-2014, 06:11 AM
Good job getting a deal on your BR. :)

I'm taking a course right now in Customer Relations. It's really just a basic customer service course...not what I hoping for but that's another story. Walmart comes up frequently in discussions as an example of how NOT to provide service. Target is new to Canada and we don't really have much experience with them yet so it's good to hear your positive feedback.

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. I was looking for a specific product for my cats...a dish that slowed down how fast they could eat. I went into PetSmart and they didn't have it but the sales woman told me that she though Pet Valu sold it. So I drove to Pet Value, they had dog bowls like I wanted but not cat bowls. Then the woman there told me about a better product that they used to carry but stopped. She got out her own personal computer to show me the product which I could buy from Amazon. Then she emailed me the link! So instead of trying to sell me the dog bowl (which might have worked) she actually referred me to another retailer so that I could buy exactly what I needed. The next time I need supplies, I'll definately be going back to that Pet Valu.

Smokey
04-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Walmart comes up frequently in discussions as an example of how NOT to provide service.

Walmart excuse is that since they provide the lowest price of retailors, they can skip on customer service.

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. I was looking for a specific product the product which I could buy from Amazon. Then she emailed me the link! So instead of trying to sell me the dog bowl (which might have worked) she actually referred me to another retailer so that I could buy exactly what I needed. The next time I need supplies, I'll definately be going back to that Pet Valu.

That is good customer service. Little bit stuff like that that make you customer of Pet Valu for life. And you probably recommend Pet valu store to your friends too :)

Feanor
04-07-2014, 05:46 AM
Target arrived in Canada a year or so ago. Their record here has been lack-luster so far: neither selection nor prices what we here were hoping for based on our observation of US stores.

I'm not sure about Target, but my wife worked at WalMart as part-time worker. Pretty much workers are treated like crap: low pay, no real benefits (of course), limited hours (of course), and also irregular hours making it difficult to work a 2nd job (which my wife didn't need but many do). It surprising, when you think of it, that service is as good as it is.