New Hobby... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Hobby...

StevenSurprenant
04-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Never mind what I posted... It's like a ghost town here, there's no point. I suppose that it's a reflection of this generation's attitude toward audio or perhaps other reasons. The one thing I don't understand is that other audio sites are still doing well. What happened here?

Something similar happened to the State Park where I live. In the 70's, every weekend it was packed to the gills with people. Everyone within driving distance would be there. The people running the park decided that they didn't like it so they changed some of the rules and now it's a place to go if you want to be alone.

The funny thing about audio is that I have chased the elusive goal of perfect audio for a very long time, spending ten's of thousands of dollars on gear to finally end up with equipment technology (at a fraction of the cost) that dates back to before I was born, i.e. tubes and vinyl. For all the talk about new gear and digital, in terms of sound quality, I don't think we've moved ahead an inch. The same applies to recordings. One of the very best recordings I have was made when I was a very young boy.

Many of us have seen the growth of computer technology since it came into our homes around 1980 and every few years, it leaps ahead in processing ability. Each time this happens we get a substantial increase for the same dollar. In comparison, audio has remained stagnant, except for adding more channels to receivers. If audio followed the same pattern as computer advancement, by now a “very” decent stereo should cost a few thousand dollars.

Since I went DIY, I spend less time admiring the latest and greatest and look inside the gear to see what it's made of. For example, It blows my mind when I see a $5,000 unit made from about a couple of hundred dollars in parts, not counting the beautiful casings. I understand that people are trying to make a living, but get real.

As much as I love music and have enjoyed the pursuit of getting the best sound, I can't help but feel that the audio industry is reaming me, cost wise. Frankly, the idea of snake oil has been tossed back and forth for quite a time, usually referring to wires and such, but it goes way beyond that.

With that said, I suppose people get tired of talking about the same thing over and over, year after year. I can understand that, and it's time to move on.

Except for our resident troll, this site has been great over the years.

Well, anyway, live long and prosper everyone. See you... out there...

And...

Worf, thanks to you, my TV is still fine after the repair. I can't thank you enough. Forever Autumn it's been a pleasure speaking with you. John, you too, but I question your defense of T. His treatment of certain posters speaks for itself. The rest of you, I've enjoyed your posts very much.

I've changed my vocation from listening to music to creating my own (for my own pleasure). It's going to be fun!

TheHills44060
04-08-2014, 05:28 AM
Hope you come back to share your future DIY projects at least.

Feanor
04-08-2014, 05:35 AM
Hope to see you again someday, Steven.

Hyfi
04-08-2014, 05:38 AM
Take care Steve, it's been a pleasure interacting with you.

Most still don't agree but this place went dead directly after the update to vBulletin software and has remained dead since then.

The main thing that finally killed the Rave Recordings forum which was at one time the best out there, was digital music getting in the way of Comp Trading.

I am pretty much right behind you from here but still enjoy 1 other site for audio where nobody is allowed to crap on anyone else threads in any way and the moderation is 100% consistent for all.

Cheers,

Brian

blackraven
04-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Take care Steve.

I think some of the nasty bickering has killed this site. I am a member of the AudioShark forum and the Audio Circles forum. Both are very friendly sites with the AS being the most friendly and with the most respect. In fact, you will get booted from the AS forum for any bad behavior. Many people on that forum have systems costing tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars and they are very friendly.

I hope that this forum can recover. I would like to see some new forums added here. I have concerns that new members rarely post anything or engage in conversations.

harley .guy07
04-11-2014, 08:37 AM
I know I have not posted much in a while but that is because I really have not made any recent changes to my system and I have noticed that the people that are posting are new people asking for help troubleshooting or buying new gear. I don't mind at all talking to those people and helping them out as it is our duty to help the people trying to show interest in this hobby that seems to not be doing well right now. I just wish I could find the occasional new speaker discussion or new amp talk or something. I do know that there are other forums that have different thread for different brands of gear and even some of the CEO's or owners of these companies are members and interact with people which is cool and probably part of why it has more traffic.

TheHills44060
04-12-2014, 05:14 AM
Most still don't agree but this place went dead directly after the update to vBulletin software and has remained dead since then.
Agreed this new software blows majorly. I used to go back and update my posts wit clearer pictures but cant do that anymore. The edit button goes away.

blackraven
04-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, who runs AR? Is there a way that we could add more forums to add membership and create discussion? It would be nice to have a manufacturers forum.

harley .guy07
04-14-2014, 12:48 PM
I have wondered that myself for a while now. I know who thew moderators are but not who calls the shots. I think this site needs some revamping in the forum department and maybe the whole site if it is going to remain relevant at all. There are just too many alternatives with more to offer that use better software for their forum. Not to dis on AR or anything as this was the first site that I became a member of and started posting so it holds a special place in my audio heart but there needs to be some improvements to keep the interest alive.

blackraven
04-14-2014, 02:59 PM
I agree Harley. The site needs updating. This was my first audio forum and I learned a lot here. I would hate to see it die. I like the format and feel of the Audio Shark forum which I have been hanging around. We need new members and more discussion.

Feanor
04-15-2014, 03:50 AM
I agree Harley. The site needs updating. This was my first audio forum and I learned a lot here. I would hate to see it die. I like the format and feel of the Audio Shark forum which I have been hanging around. We need new members and more discussion.

This was the first forum for me too back in 2002 when my audiophile interest revived after a hiatus of about a decade, (i.e. pre-Internet). The other site where I've actively participated is Audio Asylum; there discussion can be acrimonious at times.

On your recommendation, Blackraven, I've been checking out Audio Shark. Looks like there is lots of participation and discussion is very civil. On the down side for me is that fact that most people there apparently have high-end systems and discussion revolves around equipment priced beyond that I could never hope to own.

blackraven
04-15-2014, 07:48 AM
On your recommendation, Blackraven, I've been checking out Audio Shark. Looks like there is lots of participation and discussion is very civil. On the down side for me is that fact that most people there apparently have high-end systems and discussion revolves around equipment priced beyond that I could never hope to own.

I kind of feel out of place on AS with my system, but it sure is interesting to see the gear that some of the people there have. I have been lucky and have been able to hear some of that high end gear at my local audio shops. The guys at AS helped me decide on my BAT preamp with their experience with BAT gear.

I sure like the fact that there is zero tolerance for nastiness.

Hyfi
04-15-2014, 09:12 AM
Feanor-Raven,

Don't let the fact that some of the AS folks have more expensive setups than we do cause you to feel any certain way. I have been trading music with one who has the most basic of systems and cares nothing about gear, only the music. It never gets in the way of them helping you when they can. I too started my online life at AR back in the 90s but it's run it's course here as you can see.

I have seen a few of these guys offer up gear for free as well as send others cables, tubes, and in one person's case a large flat screen monitor.

I too like the way AS is moderated. No favs, no nonsense, just full on polite discussion without others picking apart each response. I have seen them terminate membership after a few posts for what goes on as the norm here.

I have also been lucky enough to hear some half million dollar setups. I know I will never own one but can still appreciate them and those that do own them. Having a lesser system never stopped me from posting anywhere or does it intimidate me in any way. I choose to bank for my retirement, while others spend on hobbies. Many have the extra cash no doubt and are already retired.

The membership at AS also includes many dealers and owners who interact daily like Debbie Wilson, from Wilson Speakers. It's really cool to read things from that side of the wall. Membership here includes nobody and you 2 are the last ones with Mr P, to continue caring so kudos to you 3!

If you think AS is tough, check out AudioAficianado, where the owner is a tyrant and they want contributions just to IM one another and use basic forum functionality. I got spanked and my thread locked because someone left me a message asking about my VTI racks and when I addressed them in a post, it got locked imediately and I got my pee-pee smacked. They all have megabuck systems there but the attitude is not as nice as AS which is exactly why AS was formed. It was people who defected from AA along with those who got banned. The owner was reading everyone's PMs and then terminating accounts if he did not like the content.

I still stop here to watch the train wreck but less and less each week since I mostly see "No New Posts" most times.

blackraven
04-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Hyfi, thanks! I have been posting a lot lately to try and stimulate some conversation here. I hate to see AR die.

TheHills44060
04-16-2014, 02:34 AM
Just out of curiosity, who runs AR? Is there a way that we could add more forums to add membership and create discussion? It would be nice to have a manufacturers forum.
Is Adam Labarge still the admin here? Not sure what his stake is/was in AR.

harley .guy07
04-16-2014, 10:26 AM
It just gets harder to post here when I notice people like Nelson Pass himself on AS. I will say that most of the major Posters on AS have systems way out of my league and spend more on their gear than I will probably ever try to. That being said it is interesting to read what they talk about back and forth even though I feel like me giving my two cents would be worthless in their eyes if they seen my gear in comparison to theirs. I know it is a nice site with cool people but I would be thinking they would think I was a joke talking about gear like that with them when I have a modest system.

Hyfi
04-16-2014, 11:15 AM
It just gets harder to post here when I notice people like Nelson Pass himself on AS. I will say that most of the major Posters on AS have systems way out of my league and spend more on their gear than I will probably ever try to. That being said it is interesting to read what they talk about back and forth even though I feel like me giving my two cents would be worthless in their eyes if they seen my gear in comparison to theirs. I know it is a nice site with cool people but I would be thinking they would think I was a joke talking about gear like that with them when I have a modest system.

Wrong!

Everyone there is treated with equal respect. You have a nicer system than many others there including me and I have never felt intimidated at all. You won't find a better site to talk about and learn about gear and other things that are off topic.

But yeah, it is way cool to be able to chat with the guys who designed the gear you own.

Come on over and join the fun.

blackraven
04-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Harley, those guys on AS are great. Most of those guys have gear costing over $100K but they also have smaller systems and they seem to welcome all contributions to the forums. It is also a great place to learn about more expensive gear that you may consider buying used. I have posted about cheaper gear with no ridicule. And a lot of those guys started with cheaper gear before they made their fortunes.

harley .guy07
04-21-2014, 07:36 AM
I must admit it is kind of neat to read threads from guys who have or are thinking about buying gear like the Pass Xs preamps and amps and things of that nature knowing I will probably never be able to justify buying gear of that price. But it does give you some good insight on what gear the big boys of this hobby choose to use.