Help Needed: New TV & DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed: New TV & DVD

The Squeaky Wheel
04-25-2004, 03:41 AM
I'm looking to buy a new TV & DVD and could use some help. I haven't pinned down th exact size TV, but it will be somewhere between 45 -65". My preference would be to get a traditional rear projection set but I can't do it due to a lack of wall space.
So it seems my options fall into 3 categories
-SLP
-LCD
-Plasma

I don't *want* to spend the cash for plasma but would be willing to do so if the quality is there.
So what's everyone's advice in terms of the 3 different technologies and brands?
I thought Samsung was the only one doing SLP but see that RCA now does it too.

I'll also need a DVD to go along with it. Samsung has their new interface which allegedly provides a better picture than component video. Any truth to this?
Who is making the better DVD players. I remember last year everyone was hot for a Panasonic model which nobody could get their hands on.

As my wife would say, "That's a lot of stuff." But I appreciate everyone's input.

uncooked
04-25-2004, 08:04 AM
samsungs new 50" dlp tv is awsome. they make a 60" as well for about 1000 more. but the picture quality is unmatched. i dont know how much your willing to spend but the 50"here in canada is 5400 with the $1000 stand, and some other free stuff. so in the states the price would be a fair bit lower.

AVMASTER
04-25-2004, 01:48 PM
What's the budget?

The Squeaky Wheel
04-25-2004, 02:01 PM
Good question.

Well, I'd like to keep things under $6000 which eliminates the larger plasma models.

It's either that or I'm spending a ton of cash on taking out a wall in order to make new space.

AVMASTER
04-25-2004, 02:04 PM
60" rear projected lcd hd monitor, sony-hitachi-zenith-panasonic

The Squeaky Wheel
04-25-2004, 02:15 PM
why?
Thanks for the reply. I'm a novice at these things and would appreciate knowing your rationale. Why LCD over SLP? Why those brands? Is there one brand in particular that is better than the others in terms of quality or reliability?

AVMASTER
04-26-2004, 02:46 PM
why?
Thanks for the reply. I'm a novice at these things and would appreciate knowing your rationale. Why LCD over SLP? Why those brands? Is there one brand in particular that is better than the others in terms of quality or reliability?
I like the DLPs also however i'm basing my choice on reliability; As with any new technology it needs to be proven b-4 i buy. IMO The Hitachi 50v500 was the best overall, while picture quality is very similiar with HD material the Hitachi did the best with analog signals. The Panasonic had the best color but very limited menu options( i like to tweak the picture as much as possible without having to go into a sevice menu), the sony was actually my first choice with very good detail ( actually a bit too much ) but a red push and a crappy remote, the Zenith is basically a Sony ( i wouldn't be surprised if its actually made by Sony or visa versa) but no DVI connection. Lastly the design of the tv played a big part, i may work in this industry but still need wife approval for my toys. The Hitachi covered everything the others didn't plus an on-screen A/V network that made operating other equipment nice and easy

The Squeaky Wheel
04-26-2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks. Nice Reply.
Went to Best Buy tonight and studied the 50" Sony LCD, 50" panasonic LCD & 50" Samsung DLP.

Overall I slightly preferred the LCD units to the DLP and I preferred the Sony over the Panasonic. I didn't see Hitachi or Zenith.

My concern on the LCD is possible pixel burn-out. A few years back I bought a 22" LCD computer monitor and it was missing 3 pixels from the factory. The company told me that it was within spec. I got them to replace it after a ton of *****ing, but you get the picture. On the other hand, I understand the same thing can happen with the DLP chip.

Looks like I'll have to check out the Hitachi.

Subha
04-27-2004, 07:08 AM
Try the Sony 30" 16:9 widescreen tube HDTV ready monitor. It has a DVI input. It is around 1499.00. Online you can get it for around 1200.00. It has a memory stick interface, just in case you have a sony digital camera, to view slide shows.

On DVD player, i would suggest you buy a HD DVD player, also known as HDMI DVD player. Toshiba now has a DVD player at Best Buys, model SD-5960, with HDMI output. You however need a HDMI to DVI Cable, which you can get it online at http://www.pacificcable.com/HDMI_Cables.html

http://www.digiupdate.com/251_HD_DVD_Players.html - is the site where you can learn all about HDMI and DVI based DVD players..

woodman
04-27-2004, 12:04 PM
I'm looking to buy a new TV & DVD and could use some help. I haven't pinned down th exact size TV, but it will be somewhere between 45 -65". My preference would be to get a traditional rear projection set but I can't do it due to a lack of wall space.

First off, I don't understand your "lack of wall space" comment. Please elaborate. Then, perhaps I'll be able to give you some worthwhile, useful advice.

The Squeaky Wheel
04-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Yes. Exactitude requires clarity.

The problem I have is one of depth, not height or width.
The room is rather long and narrow. I can't place the set on two walls because of doors so it either goes into a corner space or I need to cut out part of a wall and create an alcove.

I don't like the corner concept because it cuts down on viewing angle and makes placement of my surround speakers difficult.

I don't mind knocking out part of the wall and creating an alcove, but the depth would be limited because of space on the other side of the wall. It could accomodate the 40-50" DLP or LCD units but wouldn't be deep enough to accomodate a larger rear projection.

Thus has it turned my attention to DLP, LCD & Plasma. I think plasma is out primarily because of price.

I demoed both the samsung DLP & Sony & Pana LCD's last night. I liked all 3, but liked the Sony best. I have qualms about both technologies given the price, but I'll have to get over it.

Thank you for your patience & input.

woodman
04-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Yes. Exactitude requires clarity.

The problem I have is one of depth, not height or width.
The room is rather long and narrow. I can't place the set on two walls because of doors so it either goes into a corner space or I need to cut out part of a wall and create an alcove.

I don't like the corner concept because it cuts down on viewing angle and makes placement of my surround speakers difficult.

I don't mind knocking out part of the wall and creating an alcove, but the depth would be limited because of space on the other side of the wall. It could accomodate the 40-50" DLP or LCD units but wouldn't be deep enough to accomodate a larger rear projection.

Thus has it turned my attention to DLP, LCD & Plasma. I think plasma is out primarily because of price.

I demoed both the samsung DLP & Sony & Pana LCD's last night. I liked all 3, but liked the Sony best. I have qualms about both technologies given the price, but I'll have to get over it.

Thank you for your patience & input.

I recommend for you the same thing I recommended to Paul (poneal) on the other thread here. That is, a front projector which would give you what you need WITHOUT having to knock out any walls if I read your situation correctly.

You are quite right about the corner placement not being a good idea - it plays havoc with speaker placement. I also understand your "qualms about the new technologies given the price" which is precisely why I recommend the front projector instead. They use the exact same "engines" as the DLP and LCD-based rear projection sets you demoed ... but at a FAR lower price point. This takes a whole bunch of the "risk" out of the equation IMO. Instead of $3K to $5K for one of the RPTVs, you can have an even larger picture for a little more than $1K! This to me makes far more sense than any other solution to the "which TV to buy" quandry. I cannot recommend a plasma display for you (or for anyone) given today's pricing plus the lack of a proven reliability "track record" for them. They simply are not viable at this point in time in my view.

As long as you don't have insurmountable problems with ambient light in your viewing room, the front projector is far and away your best bet.

Hope this helps you

The Squeaky Wheel
04-27-2004, 01:56 PM
Thanks. I don't know the first thing about front projection. Any websites or other sources you could direct me to ?

woodman
04-27-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks. I don't know the first thing about front projection. Any websites or other sources you could direct me to ?

Sure there are. The most comprehensive and informative one is:

http://www.projectorcentral.com

Also, there are other forums where you can get tons of info, such as:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com

and

http://www.hometheatertalk.com

and

http://www.hdtvoice.com

and

http://.www.avsforum.com

Check these out and you should get answers to any and all of your questions. In particular, projector central has everything you need to know, including comprehensive reviews of just about every front projector ever made!

Hope this helps you

The Squeaky Wheel
04-28-2004, 06:42 AM
Thanks again.
Last question, I hope.

I don't know if I can control the ambient light well enough for a projector. We're moving from VT to CO and even though I bought the house in November, I haven't seen it since. We're heading out there in 2 days to start the move.
But as I recall, there are a lot of windows and it's location may be prohibitive to front projected system.

So that may force me into either a DLP or LCD as my next-best alternatives.

So, putting aside the front projector system, can you provide any recommendations about either of these technologies or different brands? I really liked the Sony 40" LCD at Best Buy and would like to take a look at the 50". The DLP just wasn't as pleasing, although the guy helping me told me the DLP bulb was on the fritz and that the set was capable of a much better picture with a better bulb and calibration.

thanks again.

BrandonCM
04-28-2004, 07:12 AM
hey squaeks, did you say your moving to Colorado, cause we did too last Nov. from FL. as soon as we bought our brand new house, I shop for the biggest screen DLP, LCD RPTV I can get according on my budget all around Denver and never consider a projector because of light control but ended up w/ it bec. of bigger size, easy to move and the same video quality w/ the Sam HLN617W and Sony 70XBR950 (they all have those screen door effect according to my observation) w/c I, my wife and 3 yr. old son are very happy

The Squeaky Wheel
04-28-2004, 07:41 AM
Relocating to Loveland for a new job.

Bought the place back in November and haven't seen it since. The sellers have been renting. They're leaving this weekend and we're starting to move in, although we won't really be there until July.

The house is on a lake and faces westward. The back wall is western facing and is a big picture window, so controlling ambient light is going to be tough unless I put up some heavy blinds. Also, the back of the room opens to a hallway and has no door so that's also an issue.

I like the front projection idea but I don't think it's going to work. Unfortunately I may have to roll the dice and go with either LCD or DLP.

Is your unit table mounted or ceiling mounted? What do you use for a screen? Is it retractable?

BrandonCM
04-28-2004, 08:15 AM
right now it's on top of something like a bookshelf back to the wall about 13.5 ft. my screen is the 92" onix by Draper w/c my sales guy recomended bec he notice I have an eye for vedeo detail after I swap Sam (misalign black bar) and the Sony (2 dead pixel w/c spread to 11 after a week). the screen is a fix mount w/c I hang on the wall (half window, half wall) until I have my basement finish.