Advise on new Furman power conditioner / voltage regulator? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Advise on new Furman power conditioner / voltage regulator?

jrodefeld
03-29-2014, 11:24 AM
Hello everyone,

I am a new member. I am looking to buy a Furman power conditioner for my home theater. But I'm not sure whether I should get a new model or an older model. I am not looking to spend more than $500 to $600 and preferably less if I can find a deal.

I was originally looking at a PFi Elite-15 but I have come across a deal on an older RA-1220 Reference Series. I don't know how old these are but I do know that they originally retailed for around $2000. I can get one under $500 used.

This one is also a full voltage regulator I believe. Would this give me better performance than the PFi 15 (which I believe is NOT a voltage regulator)?

Also, what performance benefit should I be able to see between these two models? I will be using it for home theater, which means powering speakers, a plasma tv, Blu Ray player, Directv, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Mr Peabody
03-29-2014, 06:24 PM
Welcome to AR. I'm not familiar with Furman. I use a PS Audio Quintet which sells new for around $495.00, it has 10 outlets and connections for coax and phone.

In general you should get better picture quality and for audio the background will be quieter, it's not noise you really notice until it's gone.

jrodefeld
03-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Welcome to AR. I'm not familiar with Furman. I use a PS Audio Quintet which sells new for around $495.00, it has 10 outlets and connections for coax and phone.

In general you should get better picture quality and for audio the background will be quieter, it's not noise you really notice until it's gone.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know anything about the advantages of having a true voltage regulator vs just a power conditioner? Most voltage regulators start at $1000 and up but the Furman unit I am looking at I can get a deal on.

Do you know what the advantages are of a voltage regulator vs a regular line conditioner?

Thanks.

Mr Peabody
03-29-2014, 07:21 PM
I can't remember if PS Audio called the Quintet a "regulator" but if the voltage goes below or above a certain voltage it will shutdown to prevent any equipment damage. I've heard of re-generators which they may also be referring to as a regulator, what it does is actually re-generates a perfect 120v 60Hz voltage. These are usually expensive due to all it takes to clean up and re-generate a stable output voltage to feed whatever is plugged into it.

You may want to do an internet search for the model and see what the description says and I'm sure reviews would go into some detail as to what exactly they do.

recoveryone
04-07-2014, 10:52 AM
I just put in a Panamax 500 in my 2ch setup due that it was on the same circuit as the kitchen. Everytime the icemaker or microwave would operate I would get a pop in the system. After connecting the unit I could tell the difference in the midrange sound and enhance the abilities of the tweeters. In the past I would listen to Miles Davis "kinda Blue" and my tweeters would sound fatiged and harsh on the solo trumpet parts, not anymore.

Glen B
04-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the reply. Do you know anything about the advantages of having a true voltage regulator vs just a power conditioner? Most voltage regulators start at $1000 and up but the Furman unit I am looking at I can get a deal on.

Do you know what the advantages are of a voltage regulator vs a regular line conditioner?

Thanks.
The North American ANSI tolerance for the electrical supply is ±5% of 120V (114V - 126V). It is not unusual for voltage to vary within that range depending on time of day and season. Unless you have wide voltage fluctuations outside that range, IMO you can forgo a voltage regulator.

Mr Peabody
04-27-2014, 04:42 AM
If you haven't bought anything yet you may want to also consider Surgex. I just bought one of their units and very happy with the result. Detail is easier to hear, the background is quieter. I don't have video plugged into it but I suspect it would improve as well.

blackraven
04-27-2014, 10:05 PM
I agree with Mr P, go with a Surgex or a Brick Wall which is similar to the Surgex

Surge Protectors for Home Theaters and Audio Specific Equipment | Brick Wall (http://www.brickwall.com/collections/surge-protectors-home-theater-hdtv)

or a Zero Surge which is also similar to the others-

8 Outlet Models | Zero Surge (http://www.zerosurge.com/residential/residential-products/8-outlet-models/)

I did a lot of research on these 3 several months ago and I am going to buy at least 3, maybe 4 of them to replace all my surge protectors.