A real simple Hi-Fi question about stacking your Separates [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A real simple Hi-Fi question about stacking your Separates

Swing24h
04-25-2004, 01:36 AM
Hi All,
I'm a total newbie so I apologise in advance if this a stupid question, but I'm worried.
Ok I have just bought a NAD 521 Bee cd player and NAD C320 Amp, and I am very happy with them, now I have stacked them on top of each other, with the Amp on the bottom and the cd player on top.
Then I noticed that there are vents on top of the Amp, is it dangerous to put the Cd player on top, would the Amp overheat ????
Also I live in Bangkok where it is the hot season now, and it hits 41 celsius everyday.
Please I know this is most prbably a dumb question but it took me ages to save for this and I don't want it going up in flames :(

Geoffcin
04-25-2004, 02:51 AM
Hi All,
I'm a total newbie so I apologise in advance if this a stupid question, but I'm worried.
Ok I have just bought a NAD 521 Bee cd player and NAD C320 Amp, and I am very happy with them, now I have stacked them on top of each other, with the Amp on the bottom and the cd player on top.
Then I noticed that there are vents on top of the Amp, is it dangerous to put the Cd player on top, would the Amp overheat ????
Also I live in Bangkok where it is the hot season now, and it hits 41 celsius everyday.
Please I know this is most prbably a dumb question but it took me ages to save for this and I don't want it going up in flames :(

It could lead to premature failure of your amp or worse. Also, keep all line level components away from your amp. My amp is 4ft from my CD player, and preamp. If you stack components use a well made audio rack with good spacing.

Invader3k
04-25-2004, 05:16 AM
You probably will want to get some kind of audio rack eventually, even if it is just a cheap one, to space out your components and give your amp some room to breathe. In the mean time, how about putting the amp on top of the CD player?

It could lead to premature failure of your amp or worse. Also, keep all line level components away from your amp. My amp is 4ft from my CD player, and preamp. If you stack components use a well made audio rack with good spacing.

Jack
04-25-2004, 06:23 AM
swing24h....I agree with the other posters, an audio rack is the way to go. If funds are scarce, try posting in the tweaks, mods, DIY forum of this site asking for help in building an inexpensive rack. There are plenty of DIYer's here that would be more than happy to help you or at least point you in the right direction (could be as easy as cement blocks, plywood, paint, etc). Good luck....Jack

kexodusc
04-25-2004, 06:23 AM
When I was living in a dorm and money was tight, I use to use lego to build "legs" to allow my components access to some airflow...you might try something similar in the meantime. Be careful stacking your amp on a CD player, amps are often quite a bit heavier.

Swing24h
04-25-2004, 06:37 AM
Geez,
Thanks guys for the advice, my hi-fi is on like bookshelfs anyway so it won't be no trouble just moving the CD player higher or the Amp lower.
I can't believe I ran the risk of damaging my Amp and am glad now I asked what i thought was a stupid question.
Anyway thanks again a lot to all those who gave advice ... I will move them in a minute

agtpunx40
04-25-2004, 09:21 AM
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html
I built one of these for me, and a small 2 shelf version for my brother. very cheap project that gives you alot of leway in how much you want to spend, and how good you want it to be. My brother just wanted a really cheap one to put on his desk to give his reciever some room to breath and put his cdp on top, so he just used mdf, but mine looks alot better with solid wood.

mtrycraft
04-25-2004, 08:58 PM
Geez,
Thanks guys for the advice, my hi-fi is on like bookshelfs anyway so it won't be no trouble just moving the CD player higher or the Amp lower.
I can't believe I ran the risk of damaging my Amp and am glad now I asked what i thought was a stupid question.
Anyway thanks again a lot to all those who gave advice ... I will move them in a minute

Not stupid questions at all. It would have been stupid not to ask. :)

Just separate them, different shelves are fine. You don't need anything fancy.

lumiere
06-18-2004, 03:03 PM
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html
I built one of these for me, and a small 2 shelf version for my brother. very cheap project that gives you alot of leway in how much you want to spend, and how good you want it to be. My brother just wanted a really cheap one to put on his desk to give his reciever some room to breath and put his cdp on top, so he just used mdf, but mine looks alot better with solid wood.

Thanks for the link. It took me a while, but I built my audio rack. Looks great and was cheap and easy to build. Thanks again.

Norm Strong
06-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi All,
Put the amp (the component that generates the most heat) on the top. CD players run very cool, so there is no need for airflow around it.

nightflier
06-18-2004, 03:37 PM
...My amp is 4ft from my CD player, and preamp....

Geofcin, I have a couple of questions:

- Why 4 feet? That's a lot to ask for those of us with limited space. I have my receiver about 1' from the next component (the amp is sitting on the top shelf of a good commercial rack). Is this not enough?

- If moving the amp is not an option, what type of material could I put between the shelf and the component to help with shielding?

Geoffcin
06-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Geofcin, I have a couple of questions:

- Why 4 feet? That's a lot to ask for those of us with limited space. I have my receiver about 1' from the next component (the amp is sitting on the top shelf of a good commercial rack). Is this not enough?

- If moving the amp is not an option, what type of material could I put between the shelf and the component to help with shielding?

On other components. 4 ft is just how far I have it, several friends swear that 6ft or more is better. Tube preamps, and phono amps can be especially microphonic, so if your using one make sure your amp is isolated from them. The whole idea is to lower the possiblity of any feedback between components.

Metal is the best shielding for electromagnetic interferance. Also make sure all your components are grounded correctly.

jmzais
07-05-2004, 03:14 PM
If i stack something, i'll usually put the lightest components on bottom. Good thing i got a heavy CD changer!

I made a rack like the one in the link, i didn't use dampening washers like that, but now i'm thinking of adding them, I also used 4 posts, 1 in each corner instead of 3. Used nice wood, and got some good edging for it, so it looks like a nicely finished product.