5 minute healthy meal [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 5 minute healthy meal

Smokey
03-26-2014, 08:51 PM
Lets face it. After a long day (or night) at work, last thing we want to do is sweat over stove trying to make meal. Here is meal that takes only 5 minutes to make and vey healthy.

All we need is caned refried beans, a soft flour tortilla. And filling of your choice such as tomato, lettuce, onion, cheddar cheese, olives be good too.

Beans are very healthy and make you feel very full. They are high in fiber and protein, and have minerals such as iron, potassium, magnesium, copper and zinc, along with vitamins such as folic acid, thiamin, niacin and B6.

Heat up some refried bean in a skillet and put right on the center of warm tortilla. Put cheese and your favorate fillings right on top of the bean. Tuck in just one end of tortilla, and then do handwrap. All done under 5 minutes.

Served with side salsa :)

Feanor
03-27-2014, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the tip, Smokey,

Legumes are frequently over look as source of cheap protein and fiber, and dressing them is this simple way is the really boost the flavor and appeal.

Canned refried beans aren't always readily available in my corner of the world, at leaast a selection of brands, etc. is generally limited. I'd suggest wholewheat tortilla, though with all those beans it's a matter of taste.

ForeverAutumn
03-27-2014, 09:01 AM
I do this all the time! Only I don't heat the beans first. I wrap everything in the tortilla (I love corn tortillas) and then pop it in the toaster oven for a minute.

Whole Foods' 365 brand offers a Lime and Chile refried beans that is soooooooo yummy! I also like to just spread the beans (right out of the can) on some rice or corn cakes and top it with some avocado and a bit of salsa. Mmmmmmmm.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-27-2014, 04:30 PM
Lets face it. After a long day (or night) at work, last thing we want to do is sweat over stove trying to make meal. Here is meal that takes only 5 minutes to make and vey healthy.

All we need is caned refried beans, a soft flour tortilla. And filling of your choice such as tomato, lettuce, onion, cheddar cheese, olives be good too.

Beans are very healthy and make you feel very full. They are high in fiber and protein, and have minerals such as iron, potassium, magnesium, copper and zinc, along with vitamins such as folic acid, thiamin, niacin and B6.

Heat up some refried bean in a skillet and put right on the center of warm tortilla. Put cheese and your favorate fillings right on top of the bean. Tuck in just one end of tortilla, and then do handwrap. All done under 5 minutes.

Served with side salsa :)

Oh Smoke, a tortilla, beans, cheese, salsa, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, and even some ground turkey thrown in that mix is hmmm, hmmm good.

This was one of the staples of my household when growing up(minus the turkey).

Smokey
03-27-2014, 08:07 PM
Legumes are frequently over look as source of cheap protein and fiber, and dressing them is this simple way is the really boost the flavor and appeal.It seem is over looked only in Europe and N.A. For the rest of the world, it is stable of daily diet, along with rice :)

Smokey
03-27-2014, 08:14 PM
I do this all the time! Only I don't heat the beans first. I wrap everything in the tortilla (I love corn tortillas) and then pop it in the toaster oven for a minute.

If you are using corn tortilla, that dish beg to have some type of sause on it. Salsa be good, but cheese sauce be better :)

Also love beans with corn cakes. A good cold winter night meal.

This was one of the staples of my household when growing up(minus the turkey).

Yes. Minus the turkey :yesnod:

ForeverAutumn
03-28-2014, 05:26 AM
If you are using corn tortilla, that dish beg to have some type of sause on it. Salsa be good, but cheese sauce be better :)

Also love beans with corn cakes. A good cold winter night meal.

One of my favourite sauces for this is plain greek yogurt with salsa mixed into it. Nice and creamy with a bit of tang and heat.

kexodusc
03-29-2014, 08:13 AM
Wow. This looks easy enough that even a complete kitchen-klutz like me can pull it off. Think I'l pick some refried beans up today when I'm out.

Smokey
03-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Think I'l pick some refried beans up today when I'm out.Don't forget the salsa :)